Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> on 2014/08/06 08:52:34 UTC

do we need a 1.6.1 ?

> That was accidental bug which was fixed after release:
> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/d43f69d90740d5a230b0054fa32b6843b33691bc
> TL;DR remove all the clear text passwords from ini file and set admins
> via HTTP API to workaround the issue. This should help.
> --
> ,,,^..^,,,

This is the `hash admin passwords on startup when list` fix again, which will
catch more & more people as time goes on. I’m wondering if we should do a 1.6.1
specifically due to this?

A+
Dave

Re: do we need a 1.6.1 ?

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
As discussed in today’s IRC catchup, I will prepare a 1.6.1 branch
before sneaking off for a long weekend, bringing us up to the last
commit, #ade9dae, before Bob’s Big(Couch) Merge commit to master.

This will be a bugfix release, I’m proposing a minimal change log:

- just 3 major commits, with smaller doc & fauxton updates:

d43f69d    hash admin passwords on startup when list
3bcf664    Add Experimental Content-Security-Policy support (CSP) for Fauxton
95600b7    Send a real EventSource event for heartbeat

tarball prepped with docs, now a new one at

http://people.apache.org/~dch/snapshots/couchdb/20140814/

I’ll kick off the proper release process tonight.

A+
Dave

Re: do we need a 1.6.1 ?

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
As discussed in today’s IRC catchup, I will prepare a 1.6.1 branch
before sneaking off for a long weekend, bringing us up to the last
commit, #ade9dae, before Bob’s Big(Couch) Merge commit to master.

This will be a bugfix release, I’m proposing a minimal change log:

- just 3 major commits, with smaller doc & fauxton updates:

d43f69d    hash admin passwords on startup when list
3bcf664    Add Experimental Content-Security-Policy support (CSP) for Fauxton
95600b7    Send a real EventSource event for heartbeat

AFAICT I’ve done the git merge[1] correctly, and the tarball[2] passes
verify install, distcheck is still running at 2am. These aren’t
official tarballs!

I haven’t gotten the docs & changes file done yet, so this is just
for those who care to check I got the merge right.

Tomorrow I should get the doc fixes done, hope make distcheck is
passing while I sleep…

A+
Dave

[1]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tree/1.6.x
[2]: http://people.apache.org/~dch/snapshots/couchdb/20140813/

Re: do we need a 1.6.1 ?

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> > This is the `hash admin passwords on startup when list` fix again, which will
> > catch more & more people as time goes on. I’m wondering if we should do a 1.6.1
> > specifically due to this?
>
> Sounds sane.
>
> Do we not have tests or something to catch this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

My wording of this implies we broke something and then broke it again, that’s not
correct, however a number of users have tripped up on this (hence the again).

AFAICT #ade9dae is the last commit before the merge to pull 1.6.x up to date from,
so I will see how well this rebases to the 1.6.x branch today. Please let me know
if there’s anything further to go into this release.

A+
Dave

Re: do we need a 1.6.1 ?

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Re: do we need a 1.6.1 ?

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1

Sent from my iPhone

Re: do we need a 1.6.1 ?

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: do we need a 1.6.1 ?

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:
>> That was accidental bug which was fixed after release:
>> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/d43f69d90740d5a230b0054fa32b6843b33691bc
>> TL;DR remove all the clear text passwords from ini file and set admins
>> via HTTP API to workaround the issue. This should help.
>> --
>>

> This is the `hash admin passwords on startup when list` fix again, which will
> catch more & more people as time goes on. I’m wondering if we should do a 1.6.1
> specifically due to this?

+1

--