Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Evan Champion <ev...@nortel.com> on 2009/12/30 03:58:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Long graceful restart time

Hi,

I have a large Apache proxy server (around 24000 <Proxy> statements spread over almost 200 listening ports) that I graceful restart once per day to update the configuration from a database.  Our service monitoring tools indicate that during the graceful restart the server can take in excess of 1 minute to respond to new client connections.

Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Thanks,

Evan

Re: [users@httpd] Long graceful restart time

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 01.01.10 17:38, Evan Champion wrote:
> There are only about 200 virtual hosts and the document root is on a local
> (SAN) filesystem, so I'm not sure that patch will help (the description
> suggested a large number of virtual hosts on remote filesystems where the
> stat takes some time to complete).  The config is large however,
> approaching 150,000 lines due to the number of <Proxy> statements
> providing different access controls to various parties.

do you have separate logs for all virtual hosts, proxied or not? If so, this
may also be the reason for slow restart.

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

RE: [users@httpd] Long graceful restart time

Posted by Evan Champion <ev...@nortel.com>.
Hi Nick,

There are only about 200 virtual hosts and the document root is on a local (SAN) filesystem, so I'm not sure that patch will help (the description suggested a large number of virtual hosts on remote filesystems where the stat takes some time to complete).  The config is large however, approaching 150,000 lines due to the number of <Proxy> statements providing different access controls to various parties.

Evan

> I have a large Apache proxy server (around 24000 <Proxy> statements spread over almost 200 listening ports) that I graceful restart once per day to update the configuration from a database.  Our service monitoring tools indicate that during the graceful restart the server can take in excess of 1 minute to respond to new client connections.
>
> Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Do you mean huge numbers of virtual hosts?  Go to bugzilla,
grab the patch from Bug 41887, and apply it.

(it's applied in trunk).

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Long graceful restart time