Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2002/12/24 06:55:45 UTC

build javadocs bug and out-of-memory

The 'build javadocs' was failing for me with out-of memory
and this is a reasonably hefty desktop (256 Mb RAM)
JVM: Linux Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-FCS

I found what the problem was. The 2.1-dev build has changed
recently to gather the java source from various locations,
using Ant <fileset> rather than <sourcepath>. This now feeds
javadoc with *.java files rather than just telling javadoc
the path and letting it gather the files. It seems to just
consume more and more memory, and then fall over.

So i just made an experimental commit to the build.xml
using <sourcepath> instead - this seems to fix it.
Would others please try it out.

--David

Re: build javadocs bug and out-of-memory

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
Did you try this trick? :

Set JAVA_OPTS environment var as follows:

JAVA_OPTS=-Xms100m -Xmx500m

then restart your java program

or drop these args directly on the java commandline:

java -Xms100m -Xmx500m ...

regards, hussayn

Gernot Koller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Having 512Mb RAM in my box, build still fails with OutofMemoryException while doing the java-doc target.
> Any hints what I can do ?
>
> thx,
>
> Gernot.
>

> 24-Dec-02 08:40:16, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>The 'build javadocs' was failing for me with out-of memory
>>>and this is a reasonably hefty desktop (256 Mb RAM)
>>>JVM: Linux Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-FCS
>>>
>>>I found what the problem was. The 2.1-dev build has changed
>>>recently to gather the java source from various locations,
>>>using Ant <fileset> rather than <sourcepath>. This now feeds
>>>javadoc with *.java files rather than just telling javadoc
>>>the path and letting it gather the files. It seems to just
>>>consume more and more memory, and then fall over.
>>
>>It was done to gather the javadocs of the blocks.
>>And as a fix to the memor problem, it was said to use a temporary file
>>for persistence.
>>

>>>So i just made an experimental commit to the build.xml
>>>using <sourcepath> instead - this seems to fix it.
>>>Would others please try it out.
>>
>>Does it do blocks too?
>>
>>Probably the best thing would be to do the core javadocs first, and then
>>javadocs for each block that reference the main ones, or something like
>>that.
>>
>>--
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi                   nicolaken@apache.org
>>            - verba volant, scripta manent -
>>   (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)

Dr. Hussayn Dabbous
SAXESS Software Design GmbH
Neuenhöfer Allee 125
50935 Köln
Telefon: +49-221-56011-0
Fax:     +49-221-56011-20
E-Mail:  dabbous@saxess.com

Re: build javadocs bug and out-of-memory

Posted by Gernot Koller <gr...@gmx.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.