Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "M . Dietrich" <md...@diwa-gmbh.de> on 2000/07/03 19:18:19 UTC

icvs integration

i wrote this before but it probably get lost. i have a integration of
an jcvs export for ant. now we have a license problem. has anybody an
idea what to do?

we use this task 'cause we use an as/400 here which work fine with
ant! with this task you can even export a revision from the
repository on the as/400. really nice.

i put the code under any license which would solve the problem between
apache&gnu here.

best regards,
	michael

Re: icvs integration

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 MD> shall i put my source somewhere and if so where?

If it is true that GPL considers direct method calls as static
linking, this probably means your code has to be under the GPL as
well, right? I'm not sure whether we can include GPLed code in Apache
repositories.

The best way would probably be to make your source available yourself
(a website of your own or at the jCVS site perhaps) and we would tell
people where to look for it (in the FAQ, inside the source to the CVS
task and inside docs/index.html).

Would that be OK with everybody?

Stefan

Re: icvs integration

Posted by "M . Dietrich" <md...@diwa-gmbh.de>.
On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:59:00AM +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>  MD> i wrote this before but it probably get lost.
> No it didn't, I responded to it. My original response is below.
ooups, i haven't been on the mailinglist by then

> [...]
> My proposal: Encourage an optional JCVS based task and remove the
> comment from Cvs.java.
>
> As soon as JCVS can do everything the command line version can (and I
> *need* local as well as ext) we can make the Cvs task optional as
> well. The bootstrap process would compile in the JCVS version if it
> found JCVS and use the command line based version otherwise.
>
> Comments?

yes: shall i put my source somewhere and if so where?

best regards,
	michael

Re: icvs integration

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

------------------

 MD> Hello, i found the following comment in Cvs.java:

 MD> // XXX: we should use JCVS (www.ice.com/JCVS) [...]

This comment has lead Erik Meade <em...@geekfarm.org> to implement a
JCVS task and post it here a while back (beginning of June).

Maybe we should come to a decision and remove the comment after that
(or change the Cvs task depending on the outcome).

A JCVS task could only be an optional task as we can't bundle JCVS
with Ant (the GPL problem) - and user who don't want JCVS couldn't
compile Ant if we made it a core part of it.

Apart from that my main objection against replacing the current Cvs
task with a JCVS implementation was, that JCVS didn't support the
of those is planned so sometime in the future JCVS could be a full
replacement of the command line version, but it is not right now.

Re: icvs integration

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.
At 09:56  4/7/00 +0200, you wrote:

>Can't a CVS task based on jcvs be included in ANT without adding jcvs
>itself to apache. Other optional task do the same.

Well I haven't looked at specifc cases in optional package anything that is
gpl'ed disallows using any method names including constructors which means
you have to do everything through reflection. A real PITA especially if you
need to call lots of methods :/.

>+1 to put it in the optional package without adding the jcvs library to ANT.

well I would like it there aswell but doing so would require a PITA
programming model (ie through reflection). And it would still require a
seperate download - so if you wanted it you may aswell package up the task
with jcvs and put it on a web page.

Cheers,

Pete

Re: icvs integration

Posted by Thomas Haas <th...@softwired-inc.com>.
Can't a CVS task based on jcvs be included in ANT without adding jcvs
itself to apache. Other optional task do the same. Also, the current CVS
task can only be used, if you already have cvs installed on your machine.

+1 to put it in the optional package without adding the jcvs library to ANT.

In the end the two CVS task may even be merged, and depending on your
system the jcvs part is compiled and available or not.

- tom

Re: icvs integration

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.