Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/09/06 10:35:34 UTC

Some things I noticed doing my first steps with IoTDB

Hi all,

even if I‘ve been a Mentor of the project and helped quite a bit with the build etc … unfortunately I’m currently doing my first steps actually using it.

I noticed a few things that could make things easier for folks like me.

Here goes:

  *   In “Session” the constructor takes the arguments host and port … while the “host” is sort of pretty self-explanatory, for me the “port” wasn’t quite. The problem is that IoTDB does open quite a number of ports, however from just “port” I couldn’t see which type it’s actually looking for. In the end I found out that it’s looking for the rpc port (which makes sense) … so how about we rename that parameter to “rpcPort”?
  *   The build builds and deploys jars for the code, but not the sources, so in IntelliJ I couldn’t easily debug as it was using its auto-decompiled sources, which don’t really align perfectly and which don’t contain any comments.
  *   When using the JDBC driver to connect (Wanted to use IntelliJs JDBC panel to see what my service is writing in the beginning I got errors that the remote was hanging up and on the server side I could read that some thrift-frame-size stuff was wrong. In the end I was using the last released version of the driver, but using the SNAPSHOT version of IoTDB. I think it would be good to have some means to check the versions for compatibility first as not everyone will be able to continue on his own when seeing this sort of behavior.

Ok … so far the stuff I noticed and didn’t want to forget. With the deployment of sources, I could probably help.

Chris

Re: Some things I noticed doing my first steps with IoTDB

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

+1 for the rpcPort and CLI timezone. I create two issues [1] [2] and mark
as easy-fixed.

As for the source build, do you mean that we need to mark the generated
code as a source folder?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IOTDB-871
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IOTDB-872

Thanks,