Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Philip Yarra <ph...@optusnet.com.au> on 2003/04/27 10:33:47 UTC

unhandled exception in log4j 1.2.6

Hi, I mailed this list in October regarding what I believe to be an unhandled
exception. See the original post here:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/8359/2002/10/100/9908518/

I have just read Ceki's response
(http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/8359/2002/10/100/9908953/), in which he
suggests that the ERROR message was just log4j complaining about being unable
to find a class to load. However, my assertion is that in this condition
log4j actually fails to catch this exception, and throws it outwards, which
according to the log4j project page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/FAQ.html#reliable) is a major bug. If
you look immediately after the ERROR message, you will see a Java stack trace
showing a ClassNotFoundException being thrown all the way out past
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure and into the code that called
it (com.utiba.ga.log4j.GA$1.configReloaded()).

I ask that someone please re-read my email, and look specifically at the stack
trace that I took care to attach to it: you will see that the exception is
propogated all the way out of the log4j classes and into our application.

Regards, Philip Yarra.

Re: unhandled exception in log4j 1.2.6

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hmm..... It seems that it is probably reading your configuration file and,
at the time, you had....

this:
log4j.appender.ISO.layout=org.apache.log4j.xml.XMLLay

instead of this:
log4j.appender.ISO.layout=org.apache.log4j.xml.XMLLayout

I know the config file your provided in your email looked like the latter,
but the stack trace suggests the former.  Is this still happening to your
application?  Have you double checked that the layout config looks like the
latter and not the former and that the config file you think is being
loaded is the actual config file being loaded.  Is there a stray somewhere
that is getting used rather than your preferred config file?

Jake