Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Liang <je...@messagesolution.com> on 2005/12/17 00:33:39 UTC

best strategy to deal with large index file

Hi all,

my index file is huge because of large set of data.  when I do search, I
get outofmemory exception sometime.  I don't know what's usually causing
the outofmemory exception. Is it during the search
because of the index file is too big?  or because there are too many
hits?  memory exception just happens when I call
IndexSearcher.search().
it's also bad for backup because I can't do incremental backup after
adding new documents since I only have one big index file.

What's the best strategy to deal with large index file?  what's a good
way to split the index file?
I start jvm with 800MB.
thanks,

Jeff

Re: best strategy to deal with large index file

Posted by Dan Funk <da...@danandtamara.com>.
Are there specific queries that cause the out of memory problem? Or will any
query do it?

How large is the index?

MultiSearcher allows you to search over multiple indexes, and is well
supported throughout the API.  How you split your indexes is depends on what
you want to achieve. There are many here on the list developing indexes for
large data sets.  Please be a little more specific on what you are indexing,
and how you are searching.