Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de> on 2005/05/27 21:31:31 UTC

class for delete/add access to an index

Hi,

I'd like to add the attached class to Lucene's core. It makes live easier
for people who need to add and delete documents from an index by hiding
all the IndexReader/IndexWriter stuff. Anybody needing full performance or
best performance with threads can still use IndexReader/IndexWriter
directly.

What do you think? If this gets accepted, it also needs a better name.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: class for delete/add access to an index

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Friday 03 June 2005 18:43, Doug Cutting wrote:

> As for names, IndexWriter would be a good one for this, and
> IndexAppender would be a better name for what's now called IndexWriter.

Actually I'd now like to add searching capabilities. Then Index,
IndexAccess, or IndexAccessor would be okay.

Regards
 Daniel

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Daniel Naber wrote:
> What do you think? If this gets accepted, it also needs a better name.

It looks reasonable to me.

As for names, IndexWriter would be a good one for this, and
IndexAppender would be a better name for what's now called IndexWriter.
  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to make that change back-compatibly.

So perhaps this could be called IndexModifier.

We could still rename IndexWriter to IndexAppender and add a deprecated
subclass named IndexWriter for back-compatibility.  Would that work?  Is
it worth it?

Doug

RE: class for delete/add access to an index

Posted by Pasha Bizhan <fc...@ok.ru>.
Hi,

> From: Daniel Naber [mailto:lucenelist@danielnaber.de]

> What do you think? If this gets accepted, it also needs a better name.

Please also add an api for searching like this:
http://searchblackbox.com/sdk/api/SearchBlackBox.SearchEngine.ExecuteSearch.
html

Pasha Bizhan