Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2011/07/14 09:25:04 UTC

[C3] i18n support

Hi folks,
yesterday Thorsten wrote something about C3 and i18n support, and we
also discussed something about this a while ago [1].

Since I need now this kind of support for my Hippo Cocoon Toolkit
project [2], I think in the next weeks I'll be working on this topic,
so: is there anything I can start from? Do you think that migrating
Cocoon 2.2 components (as suggested in [3]) would be the easier / better
way to do it?

Thanks.

[1]
http://cocoon.markmail.org/message/wey7tzgeqlyrhsmv?q=+list:org.apache.cocoon.dev+c3+anf+i18n
[2] http://forge.onehippo.org/gf/project/hct/
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON3-64

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [C3] i18n support

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
> Gents,
> I've just committed all the modifications involved with issue
> COCOON3-64: I've ported the i18NTransformer in cocoon-sax (since no
> additional dependencies are involved), added some unit tests and some
> sitemap samples in cocoon-sitemap.

Nice I will try it out ASAP.

Thanks for your efforts.

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: [C3] i18n support

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> Hi folks,
> yesterday Thorsten wrote something about C3 and i18n support, and we
> also discussed something about this a while ago [1].
>
> Since I need now this kind of support for my Hippo Cocoon Toolkit
> project [2], I think in the next weeks I'll be working on this topic,
> so: is there anything I can start from? Do you think that migrating
> Cocoon 2.2 components (as suggested in [3]) would be the easier /
> better way to do it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1]
> http://cocoon.markmail.org/message/wey7tzgeqlyrhsmv?q=+list:org.apache.cocoon.dev+c3+anf+i18n
> [2] http://forge.onehippo.org/gf/project/hct/
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON3-64

Gents,
I've just committed all the modifications involved with issue
COCOON3-64: I've ported the i18NTransformer in cocoon-sax (since no
additional dependencies are involved), added some unit tests and some
sitemap samples in cocoon-sitemap.

Some remarks:

1. With respects to comments into COCOON3-64, I've NOT ported all the
classes from the trunk, but only the transformer: in particular, I
thought - at least from the moment - not to consider XML catalogs but to
use instead standard JDK ResourceBundle, much like other frameworks -
namely Wicket - are doing.

2. This porting is for C3 only, even though I think it could be quit
easily adaptable to C2.2 as well.

3. I've taken as reference for writing unit tests the old but still well
written [4]: I think we should enclose something similar in C3
documentation.

4. In C2.1 there used to be a "type" attribute, already deprecated in
some situations like as

<i18n:param type="date" pattern="dd-MMM-yy" />

C3 I18NTransformer does not consider such situations at all; the sample
above becomes - like it also used to be in C2.1

<i18n:param><i18n:date pattern="dd-MMM-yy" /></i18n:param>

5. I needed to port ParamSAXBuffer extending SAXBuffer (from
cocoon-xml): for the moment I put its source in cocoon-sax, but of
course the right place would be in cocoon-xml, so how could we handle
this? Can I move that class to cocoon-xml's? In which SVN place? And how
can we release a SNAPSHOT version of this subproject?

Regards.

[4] https://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/i18nTransformer.html