Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com> on 2006/06/30 15:46:30 UTC

Subscription entity

Hi Folks,

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to add an autoRenew
attribute to the Subscription entity so that subscriptions could be
identified as being automatically renewable.

We could then create a service that queried the Subscriptions daily and
if one will expire in the next 24 hours and has autoRenew=Y, we could
try to re-bill the user.

Also, a service that cancelled the subscription, "cancelSubscription"
with a timestamp argument to update the Subscription.thruDate
This service would set autoRenew="N" and thruDate="timestamp"
if the timestamp is not present thruDate would be unchanged.

Any thoughts?
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
is there a jira for this?

Al Byers sent the following on 6/30/2006 11:13 AM:

Re: Subscription entity

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Al,

That's an interesting idea (RecurrenceInfo), it seems if we went that
route that there is a bit of overlap between the from/thru dates on
Subscription and the RecurrenceInfo stuff.

Can you see a reason to have both? I probably have to study this a bit
more before I comment further as I haven't thought along these before.

Hans is also working on this stuff so he'll probably have some useful
comments.

Of course, I'd be happy to collaborate on this.

- Andrew

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
I would highly recommend against both options and instead use the ShoppingList for this.

Adding this stuff to the Subscription would simply result in duplication of the data model and logic that is on the ShoppingList. In this case much more than just the recurrence info is needed to be able to place orders to automatically renew a subscription...

-David

Re: Subscription entity

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Al, Hans,

Posted by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: Subscription entity

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.
If you had the renewal settings on the Subscription entity it would need all payment, etc settings.

The plan right now is to use the ShoppingList, etc. for this and any other automatic reordering.

-David