Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/12 17:58:29 UTC

[Projects New] Why are output files stored in SVN?

Why does projects new need to store changes to the files it generates in SVN?

AFAICT, all (or nearly all) the files are generated from data that is
already in SVN.

There are perhaps a few files that contain historic data that is not
otherwise available.
These could be stored as template files in SVN in case the working
files need to be regenerated.
But otherwise, I don't see the point in storing changes to derived data in SVN.

We should be striving to reduce data duplication, not increase it...

Re: [Projects New] Why are output files stored in SVN?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 July 2015 at 19:54, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> true, everything can be regenerated
>
> but there are IMHO multiple ideas behind storing the full site in svn:
> - not serve http from projects-vm but from classical resilient httpd (just let
> projects-vm just run the cron jobs)

If projects-vm fails, then the resilient httpd will display stale data.
I cannot see the point of that.

> - have a centralized history of whole data (be it source rdf in a central
> place or derived json files)

Again, having derived data in SVN is not a good idea.

Sorry, but I don't see a good reason to store this data in SVN.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.