Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> on 2013/04/14 05:38:48 UTC

Moderated messages not reaching the original poster

Hi,

I know we had discussions like this before but I'm not able to find them
in the archives.

Senders of moderated messages are often missing replies because they go
to mailing list only. AFAIR, technical solutions proposed so far weren't
accepted. Did we already consider to ask infra to change the 'Reply-To'
header form '{MAILING_LIST}' to '{MAILING_LIST}; {ORIGINAL_POSTER}'?
This would force mail clients to include the OP as recipient.

Best regards,
Peter

Re: Moderated messages not reaching the original poster

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.
Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 2013年05月16日 05:07, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 14/05/2013 janI wrote:
>> I have, during my time with infra, learned that asking is a good way to
>> start an issue and get imidiate feedback, and then create a jira.
>
> The feedback hasn't arrived yet, but I have now created a JIRA issue:

Thanks a lot.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 14/05/2013 janI wrote:
> I have, during my time with infra, learned that asking is a good way to
> start an issue and get imidiate feedback, and then create a jira.

The feedback hasn't arrived yet, but I have now created a JIRA issue:

   Andrea.

Re: Moderated messages not reaching the original poster

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 May 2013 13:10, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 14/05/2013 Peter Junge wrote:
>
>> "You're not a subscriber to this email list, so you might not
>>>>
>>> Did someone ever file an issue or checked out if the proposed solution
>> works for infra?
>>

> I did, twice (asked Infra on 21 April, asked again on 1 May). The answer
> is... Well, obviously, if I had received an answer, I would have reported
> it here!

I have, during my time with infra, learned that asking is a good way to
start an issue and get imidiate feedback, and then create a jira. The jiras
are being monitored and pops up unpleasantly when not responded to within a
timeframe

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/4/16 Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>
>
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > When non-subscribers email the list, do they at least get an
> autoresponse
> > > that says, "You're not a subscriber to this email list, so you might
> not
> > > see responses to your email.  Subscribe by clicking here!"?
> > >

> > Far as I can tell, the answer is no.  Is this something that can be done?
> >

> I don't think that, in case something like this is possible, all people
> will be willing of subscribing the dev mailing lists, so a better message
> could be "You're not a subscriber to this email list, so you might not see
> <markmail archives> or subscribe by clicking here".
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

Okay, I got back the rejected-by-moderator message.  Is there an
accepted-by-moderator message?  If so, I'd guess that'd be the place for
Ricardo's text.

Don

Re: Moderated messages not reaching the original poster

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2013 5:39 AM, "Peter Junge" <pe...@gmx.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know we had discussions like this before but I'm not able to find them
> in the archives.
> >
> > Senders of moderated messages are often missing replies because they go
> to mailing list only. AFAIR, technical solutions proposed so far weren't
> accepted. Did we already consider to ask infra to change the 'Reply-To'
> header form '{MAILING_LIST}' to '{MAILING_LIST}; {ORIGINAL_POSTER}'? This
> would force mail clients to include the OP as recipient.
>
> Hi
> I had a quick look at some of the configuration, and I fear if we follow
> your suggestion, we will all get 2 mails. a dev mail and a personal mail.
>
> Problem is that the mailer should do a sort uniq on the sender list before
> sending but it does not. Or check if the original sender is part of the
> maillist, which it also doesnt do.
>
> rgds
> Jan I.

Jan is right on this one. Depending on what we use to access email, we can
only guess what the situation is, and review the "original" message before
giving a reply appropriate to the situation. Some e-mail readers are better
at giving "hints" about this than others.

We don't get that many moderated emails to this list. But it does take a
little bit of effort to deal with them.

> > Best regards,
> > Peter

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."

Re: Moderated messages not reaching the original poster

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.