Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Max Kanat-Alexander <mk...@bugzilla.org> on 2011/07/02 09:38:42 UTC

Re: How do you use mod_perl for your web application?

On 06/15/2011 09:01 PM, Fred Moyer wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing about what application frameworks (Catalyst,
> CGI::App, Mojolicious) are used here with mod_perl.  Given the number
> of emerging Perl based webservers on CPAN (in addition to Nginx,
> lighty, etc), it seems like there are many more Perl web application
> and webservers out there now than there were five years ago.

	There are probably several thousand installations of our application
running under mod_perl. (We guess that there are roughly 10,000
installations of Bugzilla, some large number of which are running under
mod_perl.)

	We don't really have a web framework (unless you count CGI.pm, which I
don't), we just have a bunch of raw CGI files. The application dates
originally from 1998 and is developed on an entirely volunteer basis, so
we have a legacy from that era. The exact same code also runs under
mod_cgi for users who have trouble installing mod_perl (or want to run
multiple installations on one machine with different code).

	We require only mod_perl 1.999022, but nowadays also require
Apache2::SizeLimit 0.93, which may raise the effective minimum mod_perl
requirement.

	The performance and configuration ease of mod_perl have been generally
excellent for us--our only serious problems have been with people having
their servers' memory exhausted (which is why I frequently talk/ask
about SizeLimit on this list) and the occasional problem with a CPAN
module that doesn't work right in mod_perl.

	-Max
--
Max Kanat-Alexander
Chief Architect, Community Lead, and Release Manager

Re: How do you use mod_perl for your web application?

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 2 Jul 2011, at 08:38, Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:

>  (which is why I frequently talk/ask
> about SizeLimit on this list)

And I will frequently say that this is the Wrong Answer. MaxClients
and a proxy on the front is more often the right answer. A fat
Apache is an application server, treat it as such.