Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2011/01/02 22:21:35 UTC

[Tapestry Wiki] Trivial Update of "TokenizedRequestFilter" by BobHarner

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Tapestry Wiki" for change notification.

The "TokenizedRequestFilter" page has been changed by BobHarner.
The comment on this change is: outdated note.
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/TokenizedRequestFilter?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

+ || NOTE: This is information applies to Tapestry 4 but ''may'' be applicable to newer versions. ||
+
  Many of my applications require a significant degree of server-side state, but unfortunately this can lead to user frustration if the application is not tolerant to stale sessions.  Tapestry provides a nice mechanism for page validation via the PageValidateListener interface, giving the application a convenient way to redirect to (for example) a login page to verify user credentials and possibly for creation of a Visit or other necessary application state objects.  In my situation, all non-validated users are redirected to a central authentication server, which redirects back to the original application upon successful login.

  The frustration arises when the application is left idle for an extended period of time and the user later returns with the expectation of being able to continue uninterrupted.  Since frequently the server session no longer exists, the authentication server must be called upon to re-establish credentials.  In my case, this step is often performed transparently by the use of cookies, so all the user sees after submitting a form or clicking a link is either the Home page, a Stale Session page, or possibly the current page re-rendered without the user's changes.  Without a way of preserving the original request, this redirection (sometimes multiple redirections) results in the loss of the user's form data (or other requested actions).