Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Lung, Paul" <pl...@ebay.com> on 2014/06/24 02:19:32 UTC

Forcibly Move A Topic

Hi All,

Is there anyway to move a topic by force, even if it means loss of
messages? The problem I¹m looking at is the loss of multiple Kafka brokers
simultaneously in a Kafka cluster, which means that all replicas and
leader is lost. Under these circumstances, is there any way to forcibly
move the topics off to the good Kafka brokers?

Thank you.
Paul Lung

Re: Forcibly Move A Topic

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
If all replicas of a partition are offline, your partition is unavailable.
As such, there isn't a way for Kafka to copy data consistently from brokers
that are offline. If you are worried that an entire rack or data center
might go offline, you will need to ensure that your replicas are not on the
same rack or you have a multi dc strategy using cross dc replicas or mirror
makers. We have a JIRA open to do rack aware replica assignment
automatically, but the work is not complete yet.

Thanks,
Neha