Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Michael Bouschen <mi...@akquinet.de> on 2012/08/24 11:20:32 UTC

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 24, 9 am Pacific Time

Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, August 24 at 9 am Pacific Time
to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt 069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Health of the JDO community (was: Re: Health of the DB communities):
see email from Kristian Waagan on August 7, 2012
2. Convert spec to OpenOffice https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-716
3. News on "Automate OSGi bundling in JDO 3.1+ build"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-694?
4. News on patch JDO-707 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-707?
Check for best practice.
5. Autocommit or nontransactional actions:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-589
6. Reorganize sources to conform with maven conventions
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-711
7. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:
[Aug 03 2012] AI Craig review changes in JIRAs and list changes by chapter.
[Jul 27 2012] AI Michael: look into 3.1 JDOQL JIRAs and update the spec
[Jul 20 2012] AI Michelle: take a look into adding JDO social links to
db.apache.org/jdo.
[Jul 13 2012] AI Craig, Michelle update the spec.
Sep 23 2011] AI Michael document when changing dependencies (to
DataNucleus) it's necessary to rebuild the exectck project before
running tck.

Regards Michael
--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de
Web: www.akquinet.de <http://www.akquinet.de>

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 24, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
On Aug 24, 2012, at 1:07 PM, mcaisse@sonic.net wrote:

>>> Click the cap-A-in-a-box icon
>>> at the
>>> top of the style window. This shows the character styles. Assertion
>>> should
>>> be at the top of the list. If so, select the ']' and double click
>>> Assertion. Verify that when ']' is selected, Assertion is
>>> highlighted in
>>> the character style list, not Default.
>>
>> I totally missed the icon for character styles. I figured that "all
>> styles" would do it, but apparently not. Stupid User Exception.
>>
>> I've now gotten the character styles to show up.
>
> Good! I have noticed that OO sometimes doesn't show all styles until
> you
> click to another style group and then click back to the original
> window.

As a user of OO for a few years I still consider myself a newbie. Sad
face. Of course, I'm still a FrameMaker newbie as well. Sad face also.

But things are now at a point that I feel comfortable editing the spec
and not messing it up too badly. Happy face.

Thanks for all your work on this!

Craig

> -- Michelle

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 24, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by mc...@sonic.net.

> On Aug 24, 2012, at 11:55 AM, mcaisse@sonic.net wrote:

>>> 2. Convert spec to OpenOffice
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-716
>>>
>>> Question: When opening the master spec, what is the effect of the
>>> dialog box "Update all links?"
>>
>> OO reads all of the chapter and appendix files. This is a good idea,
>> since
>> they may have been changed since the last time you opened the master
>> doc.
>
> So this appears to make OO think the master doc has changed. I've been
> *not* saving the master doc when exiting to avoid svn churn.

Yes, this is good if you haven't changed anything in the master doc and
just use it to navigate the chapters and see what's new.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Health of the JDO community (was: Re: Health of the DB
communities): see email from Kristian Waagan on August 7, 2012

AI Craig reply to the message. Done.

2. Convert spec to OpenOffice https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-716

Question: When opening the master spec, what is the effect of the
dialog box "Update all links?"

p. 102 or so Chapter 11 "Any property not recognized by the
implementation must be silently ignored.]"
The trailing ] is part of assertion hidden text. What is the right way
to format this? As a nonprinting character? There doesn't appear to be
an Assertion character style in the "all styles" box.

"There are properties that are provided by the JDOHelper methods in
the following cases."

This entire paragraph appears to be incorrect. The code in JDOHelper
does not appear to add any properties as described. I suggest to
remove the paragraph and close the corresponding JIRAs.

This paragraph is probably work-in-progress toward making
PersistenceManagerFactory serializable. This effort was abandoned due
to lack of interest. We should probably copy the specification text
into a JIRA so as not to lose it, and resurrect it if we eventually
need it for the serializable effort.

AI Craig update the JIRAs.

3. News on "Automate OSGi bundling in JDO 3.1+ build" https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-694?

no change.

4. News on patch JDO-707 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
JDO-707? Check for best practice.

no change.

5. Autocommit or nontransactional actions: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-589

AI Craig comment on the JIRA.

[...]

I will probably miss the meeting today. Re the OO spec, yesterday I made
some changes to the template and master document. I will review the pdf
conversion process and make any changes necessary to get nice pdf. Send me
any feedback on spec formatting, TOC, index, assertions, etc. Please fix
any problems you encounter while editing chapters.

-- Michelle