Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org> on 2021/04/28 06:43:36 UTC

Importing external codebase which is not under APL

Dear ASF Legal, ASF com-dev, cc Apache CloudStack PMC,

The Apache CloudStack (ACS) project recently voted [1][2] to continue
further development of an archived 3rd party project:
https://github.com/hashicorp/terraform-provider-cloudstack

We discovered that the original codebase is licensed under Mozilla Public
License [3], following which we've asked the original authors to re-license
the codebase and all the files under Apache Public License v2 [4]. Before
the vote, they had agreed but now have suggested to fork the codebase and
re-license it ourselves. What are the steps of importing/forking 3rd party
codebase under a weak license and re-license them under APLv2[4]? Thanks.

[1] https://markmail.org/message/x7aagebdhh4zsgnn
[2] https://markmail.org/message/g4prb25g7wakbifa
[3]
https://github.com/hashicorp/terraform-provider-cloudstack/blob/master/LICENSE
[4] https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
PMC member, Apache CloudStack project

Re: Importing external codebase which is not under APL

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin, yes the person voting -1 had a concern that the ACS doesn't
end up having repositories that don't get any participation/development.
It's mitigated by the fact that there are contributors who have shown
interest and want to maintain, develop and release under ACS. They also
confirmed that -1 wasn't a binding vote.

Regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,