Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/28 21:21:24 UTC

Document Test Suites

Resetting the subject since the topic has drifted...

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Thorsten Behrens
<th...@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> Does anyone know what LibreOffice has in terms of test documents?
>>
> Hi Rob,
>
> there is
>
>  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/contrib/test-files/
>
> , and in-tree application unit tests, e.g.
>
>  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/sw/qa/core/data
>
> Btw, I vaguely recall Jos mentioning to setup something along the
> lines of this discussion on gitorious, though momentarily only finding
> http://gitorious.org/odfautotests which does not seem to contain
> actual test files.
>
> Since github or gitorious would be closer to something
> project-independent, and also very light-touch. Otherwise,
> freedesktop.org toplevel of course is always a good place to host such
> content.

Another idea would be to take a federated approach.  Anyone can store
test documents wherever they want, but agree upon a way to describe
metadata for each test document, e.g.: a shadow XML file for each test
document.  foo.odt would have a foo.odt.xml metadata file, with
contents like:

<test-doc>
<editor>Apache OpenOffice</editor>
<editor-version>3.4.1</editor-version>
<doc-type>application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text</doc-type>
<doc-version>1.2</doc-type>
<test-type>performance</test-type>
<description>This document contains 1000 tables of 1000 rows and 10
columns each, for 10 million table cells</description>
</test-doc>

I don't mean to propose a specific form for the metadata, but to
suggest that encoding these facts in a common way allows us to work
with the test documents more effectively.  For example, even with
several repositories, if we agree on the metadata, it is easy to write
tools that can query the document test sets and extract desired test
cases, e.g., all OOXML performance test cases for spreadsheets, or all
footnote layout test cases created in LibreOffice for ODF 1.2.

Regards,

-Rob