Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by fs...@netscape.net on 2011/05/04 15:22:13 UTC

Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Hi all,

Did a vanilla Tomcat 6.0.32 install (.exe package) on a 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 server.  The service starts and stops fine, but after a while (say, roughly one day), I get the following error message in Windows' Application log when trying to start Tomcat from a stopped state.  The title of the error is "Event 1000, Application Error":

Faulting application name: tomcat6.exe, version: 1.0.5.0, time stamp: 0x4d245ac2
Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 19.1.0.2, time stamp: 0x4d4a214c
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x000000000051f48f
Faulting process id: 0x9d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0a5acc256cf0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll
Report Id: 09f73d92-764e-11e0-af4a-005056a10003

And from commons-daemon.log:
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( prunsrv.c:1494) Commons Daemon procrun log initialized
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [info]  (          :0   ) Commons Daemon procrun (1.0.5.0 64-bit) started
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [info]  (          :0   ) Running 'Tomcat6' Service...
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( prunsrv.c:1246) Inside ServiceMain...
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [info]  (          :0   ) Starting service...
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:206 ) loading jvm 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll'
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[0] -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[1] -Dcatalina.base=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[2] -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\endorsed
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[3] -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[4] -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[5] -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\conf\logging.properties
[2011-05-04 08:57:17] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[6] -Djava.class.path=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar

Latest 64-bit JDK (jdk-6u24-windows-x64.exe) is also installed, Windows' UAC and DEP is disabled.  The worst part is that a reboot doesn't solve the problem.  Starting from a cold boot gives the same error.  Thankfully the machine is a VM, so I can revert back to a known-good state... but this basically seems to act as a time-bomb of sorts.  If I don't do any stopping/starting after some period of time, Tomcat will permanently stay down the next time the service is stopped.

Thoughts?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

=

Re: Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
  Seems like I had similar error on 2008 Server R2 and ended up having
to uninstall all JREs, manually remove all entries related to all JREs
from the registry and then reinstall the JRE I wanted to use.

-Terence Bandoian

Re: Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
  On 1:59 PM, fsmaniac@netscape.net wrote:
> [...]
>
> Windows still notes an "Event 1000, Application Error" in its logs, and I get the following error.  The "faulting application" this time is java.exe as opposed to tomcat6.exe (as it was previously):
>
> Faulting application name: java.exe, version: 6.0.250.6, time stamp: 0x4da6a804
> Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 20.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x4da6d3c2
> Exception code: 0xc0000094
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000308eef
> Faulting process id: 0xa2c
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0b2f6534c0ca
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin\java.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
> Report Id: a2f45f74-7722-11e0-a592-005056a10003
>
> This error is the same (save for the version numbers and path differences) when using JDK 6u24 and 6u25 64-bit.  I don't know if this helps at all, but here is the output from startup.bat when running with 6u25:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp"
> Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25"
> Using CLASSPATH:       "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar"
>
> I'm still at a loss here.  Any ideas what this now points to?
>

> (Terence:  Haven't gotten there yet, as it is a new install.  I might end up trying that at some point - what did you remove from the registry?)
>

> A suggestion to try to pin down the problem somewhere : let's run your Tomcat, not as a Windows Service under the procrun daemon, but as a console application, directly from java.
> (If its a VM under VMware, then you have an easy console access, and you don't care if you have to login and run tomcat in a command window, right ?)
>
> For that, you'll have to download a "full" tomcat zip-file (from the same place where you got the .exe).  The zip file contains additional scripts allowing to start tomcat from the command-line.
> You can unzip it in a new directory, or right over the one that's there.
> (You may want to save the contents of your "conf" sub-directory, and restore them after the unzip).
> Then you should be able to navigate to the "bin" directory and start tomcat in the command window (with "startup.bat"), without involving the tomcat6.exe.
> You will probably need to create a "setenv.bat" first, and set JAVA_HOME in it.
> I believe that all that is explained in the "running.txt" file that comes with it.
>
> If tomcat starts and stops consistently that way, then I would say that it is a strong clue that procrun (tomcat6.exe) has something to do with the problem.

I don't remember the exact entries.  You might try searching for 'jre'
and/or 'java' and decide what to delete based on the data.  The
installation directory might also be a useful search point.  USE
CAUTION.  In my case, I was unable to successfully uninstall/re-install
the JRE until I performed this step.

-Terence Bandoian

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by fs...@netscape.net.
After some waiting with Tomcat still down, I tried startup.bat again, and so far I'm not getting any errors.  I've been starting and stopping Tomcat with the .bat scripts, and can't seem to get it to break.  Time has been my enemy the past few days with this, so I'm expecting it to break at some point.  I'll keep an eye on it for now and see what happens, and will report back.

Andre and others:  Thank you for all your help so far - hopefully some solid information will appear as to why this is happening...

So far thus, it seems to point to either a problem in the JVM itself, or in something which you particular setup is making the JVM do.

So let's try to change the JVM.
It should be possible, even under a 64-bit Windows, to install a 32-bit JVM, no ?
(and Tomcat will run the same as long as you do not use exotic Heap size values).
Install it at a different location than your current one, change the JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME in your setenv.bat to point to this new JVM, and re-run the same test.

> Andre:  I followed your idea and did the following - uninstalled the .exe install of 6.0.32, extracted the 64-bit zip, and copied my old "conf" folder back on top of the one that the zip created.  Added the environment variable JAVA_HOME in Windows.  Ran startup.bat - Tomcat tries to start, but Windows then pops up a message saying "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working", and I am forced to click "close this program".
> > Windows still notes an "Event 1000, Application Error" in its logs, and I get the following error.  The "faulting application" this time is java.exe as opposed to tomcat6.exe (as it was previously):
> > Faulting application name: java.exe, version: 6.0.250.6, time stamp: 0x4da6a804
> Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 20.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x4da6d3c2
> Exception code: 0xc0000094
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000308eef
> Faulting process id: 0xa2c
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0b2f6534c0ca
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin\java.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
> Report Id: a2f45f74-7722-11e0-a592-005056a10003
> > This error is the same (save for the version numbers and path differences) when using JDK 6u24 and 6u25 64-bit.  I don't know if this helps at all, but here is the output from startup.bat when running with 6u25:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp"
> Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25"
> Using CLASSPATH:       "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar"
> > I'm still at a loss here.  Any ideas what this now points to?

Not really. But it definitely excludes procrun/tomcat6.exe as a source of the problem.
I also believe that it is unlikely that the same exact RAM addresses are being used in your various tests, so this would also tend to reduce the possibility of a hardware-related issue.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
fsmaniac@netscape.net wrote:
> Andre:  I followed your idea and did the following - uninstalled the .exe install of 6.0.32, extracted the 64-bit zip, and copied my old "conf" folder back on top of the one that the zip created.  Added the environment variable JAVA_HOME in Windows.  Ran startup.bat - Tomcat tries to start, but Windows then pops up a message saying "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working", and I am forced to click "close this program".
>
> Windows still notes an "Event 1000, Application Error" in its logs, and I get the following error.  The "faulting application" this time is java.exe as opposed to tomcat6.exe (as it was previously):
>
> Faulting application name: java.exe, version: 6.0.250.6, time stamp: 0x4da6a804
> Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 20.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x4da6d3c2
> Exception code: 0xc0000094
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000308eef
> Faulting process id: 0xa2c
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0b2f6534c0ca
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin\java.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
> Report Id: a2f45f74-7722-11e0-a592-005056a10003
>
> This error is the same (save for the version numbers and path differences) when using JDK 6u24 and 6u25 64-bit.  I don't know if this helps at all, but here is the output from startup.bat when running with 6u25:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp"
> Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25"
> Using CLASSPATH:       "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar"
>
> I'm still at a loss here.  Any ideas what this now points to?

Not really. But it definitely excludes procrun/tomcat6.exe as a source of the problem.
I also believe that it is unlikely that the same exact RAM addresses are being used in
your various tests, so this would also tend to reduce the possibility of a
hardware-related issue.

So far thus, it seems to point to either a problem in the JVM itself, or in something
which you particular setup is making the JVM do.

So let's try to change the JVM.
It should be possible, even under a 64-bit Windows, to install a 32-bit JVM, no ?
(and Tomcat will run the same as long as you do not use exotic Heap size values).
Install it at a different location than your current one, change the JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME
in your setenv.bat to point to this new JVM, and re-run the same test.

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by fs...@netscape.net.
Hey Chuck,

I have rebooted a few times, and reinstalled the u25 JDK on two occasions (on the same restored VM snapshot).  I have been going back to the u24 JDK as my starting point, so I'll try to rip that out as well and put it back in.

Per my previous email a few minutes ago, I'll see how it goes for the next few hours/overnight and see if it breaks again.  I haven't been able to get it to stop on JDK changes or reboots recently.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: fsmaniac@netscape.net [mailto:fsmaniac@netscape.net]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

> Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 20.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x4da6d3c2
> Exception code: 0xc0000094
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000308eef

That appears to be a divide fault.  Check your options (especially heap sizes) in the tomcat6w.exe window to make sure that they make sense.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by fs...@netscape.net.

Also upgraded the 64-bit JDK, as Konstantin mentioned there was a new update.  Still throws the same error in the Windows' Application log, but just a new faulting module path (changed it to the JDK version of jvm.dll):

Faulting application name: tomcat6.exe, version: 1.0.5.0, time stamp: 0x4d245ac2
Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 20.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x4da6d3c2
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x0000000000308eef
Faulting process id: 0x4a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0a80ca79488a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
Report Id: 087ebb72-7674-11e0-9d83-005056a10003

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by fs...@netscape.net.
You are correct - through the system tray GUI/tomcat6w.exe.

Just a question : where/how are you actually changing the JVM parameters ?
(I presume it is by using the GUI tomcat6w.exe, but it doesn't hurt to ask)

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Stefan Mayr <st...@mayr-stefan.de>.
Am 04.05.2011 18:34, schrieb André Warnier:
> fsmaniac@netscape.net wrote:
>>
>> Also, do the out-of-order timestamps (and the server startup time of
>> -1161496934 ms) hint at anything?
>>
> Not that it has anything to do with the problem, but I would say that
> the startup time looks very much like a formatting error. Or else that
> hardware of yours is *really* fast.
> May even explain the out-of-order timestamps, when you think about it.
> ;-)

out-of-order timestamps on a virtual machine are not uncommon. VMware
ESX for example does not provide a stable timesource. Most know problems
are clocks that are running too fast. Depending on your time
synchronization ist is now possible that system time is set backwards.
Many programms calculating time differences don't like that. Startup
time faster then light speed anyone?
Also it is possible that a certain system time is skipped: when the
system clock is too slow the VMware Tools can skip a period of time and
set the current time.
We once had MySQL not closing idle-connections because the time this
should happen was skipped.

You could try monitoring the system time in relation to a stable time
source and check if there are any coherences.

- Stefan

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
fsmaniac@netscape.net wrote:

> Also, do the out-of-order timestamps (and the server startup time of  -1161496934 ms) hint at anything?

Not that it has anything to do with the problem, but I would say that the startup time
looks very much like a formatting error.  Or else that hardware of yours is *really* fast.
May even explain the out-of-order timestamps, when you think about it.
;-)

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by fs...@netscape.net.
Hi Konstantin,

Thanks for your reply.  For the info you requested:
-No, no other log messages generated.  It looks like the JVM itself just fails to start.
-I didn't see any hs_err*.log files anywhere.
-Positive on the hardware - it is 64-bit.
-The "Native" connector is disabled for now - I have enabled it and disabled it when I have the problem, and don't see any change.  No other connectors installed - it is whatever the default .exe install provides.

After playing with it for the past 2 hours, and shutting the virtual machine off and turning it back on, I now get this:

[2011-05-04 11:33:31] [debug] ( prunsrv.c:1494) Commons Daemon procrun log initialized
[2011-05-04 11:33:31] [info]  (          :0   ) Commons Daemon procrun (1.0.5.0 64-bit) started
[2011-05-04 11:33:31] [info]  (          :0   ) Running 'Tomcat6' Service...
[2011-05-04 11:33:31] [debug] ( prunsrv.c:1246) Inside ServiceMain...
[2011-05-04 11:33:31] [info]  (          :0   ) Starting service...
[2011-05-04 11:33:31] [debug] ( javajni.c:206 ) loading jvm 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll'
[2011-05-04 11:33:32] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[0] -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
[2011-05-04 11:33:32] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[1] -Dcatalina.base=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
[2011-05-04 11:33:32] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[2] -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\endorsed
[2011-05-04 11:33:32] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[3] -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp
[2011-05-04 11:33:32] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[4] -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
[2011-05-04 11:33:32] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[5] -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\conf\logging.properties
[2011-05-04 11:33:32] [debug] ( javajni.c:660 ) Jvm Option[6] -Djava.class.path=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar
[2011-05-04 11:31:12] [debug] ( javajni.c:844 ) argv[0] = start
[2011-05-04 11:31:12] [debug] ( javajni.c:891 ) Java Worker thread started org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap:main
[2011-05-04 11:31:14] [debug] ( prunsrv.c:1058) Java started org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap
[2011-05-04 11:31:14] [info]  (          :0   ) Service started in -1161496934 ms.
[2011-05-04 11:31:14] [debug] ( prunsrv.c:1369) Waiting for worker to finish...

Compared to before, this time it actually did start (though the timestamps/order of events seem to be a bit off).  I'm positive this is going to happen again though, as I didn't change anything.  Is there any other way to enable more verbose logging for this problem?

Also, do the out-of-order timestamps (and the server startup time of  -1161496934 ms) hint at anything?

> Did a vanilla Tomcat 6.0.32 install (.exe package) on a 64-bit Windows 2008 R2
server.  The service starts and stops fine, but after a while (say, roughly one
day), I get the following error message in Windows' Application log when trying
to start Tomcat from a stopped state.  The title of the error is "Event 1000,
Application Error":

> Faulting application name: tomcat6.exe, version: 1.0.5.0, time stamp:
0x4d245ac2
> Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 19.1.0.2, time stamp: 0x4d4a214c
> Exception code: 0xc0000094
> Fault offset: 0x000000000051f48f
> Faulting process id: 0x9d0
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0a5acc256cf0
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll
> Report Id: 09f73d92-764e-11e0-af4a-005056a10003

When it happens? Is there anything in the other logs? Does Tomcat
tries to start (initialize its connectors, web applications, etc.),
or just the JVM itself plainly fails to start. Anyway, it looks like
the error happens in the JVM itself.  There can be
"hs_err_pid<number>.log" files somewhere (in the currect working
directory when the crash occurred) with thread dumps in them.

Are you sure in your hardware?

What connectors do you use?
Have you installed "Tomcat Native" connector, or not?

> Latest 64-bit JDK (jdk-6u24-windows-x64.exe) is also installed,

Note, that there is 6u25 already.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.