Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/01 17:11:19 UTC

Re: meta tags, description and keyword missing

(switching to user@...)

Hi Gaurav, you need to alter your header template to include the search
description field ( $entry.searchDescription, as listed in the Roller
template guide.)  We do not do that by default, partly out of concern
that someone might put sensitive information in that field and not
realize that it's appearing in the (invisible from the browser) header
of every HTML page.  (Perhaps however, we should modify the templates to
do that anyway, I'm not sure how serious/common a concern that would be.)

Something like this should work for you:  <meta name="Description"
content="${entry.searchDescription}">

Glen

Re: All heck is breaking loose... (Re: meta tags, description and keyword missing)

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Very strange indeed. I restarted my server and now
http://rollerweblogger.org/project/ is rendering just fine. I suspect there
may be some sort of "leak" or other issue with the JSPWiki plugin that
caused the rendering problem. I'll keep an eye out for further troubles.

- Dave

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
My mistake -- $model.weblog.description maps to the "tagline" field on
the weblog settings page, while I was populating the "About your blog"
field (which maps to $model.weblog.about.)

Glen

New #showMetaDescription() macro

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi all, I just put a new #showMetaDescription() Velocity macro into
5.1-SNAPSHOT that will work for both single-blog-entry and whole-blog URLs:

+#**
+Adds a meta description tag, suitable for use in HTML header sections.
This tag is frequently used by
+search engines to provide a short description for links returned.  The
description value will set to the
+weblog's tagline if on a multiple blog entry page or the weblog entry
search description if on a single
+blog entry (permalink) page.  If the relevant description value has not
been configured no meta tag
+will be created.
+*#
+#macro(showMetaDescription)
+    #if ($model.permalink)
+        #if ($utils.isNotEmpty($model.weblogEntry.searchDescription))
+            <meta name="description"
content="$model.weblogEntry.searchDescription">
+        #end
+    #elseif ($utils.isNotEmpty($model.weblog.description))
+        <meta name="description" content="$model.weblog.description">
+    #end
+#end

The templates that Roller comes packaged with are now using this macro.

Regards,
Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info Greg.  My inclination at this stage is to update the
templates to incorporate the below so each new user won't have to go
through the headache of figuring this out--any objections?  Google
Blogger itself has a search description field
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549069/BloggerCurrent.png)
that automatically goes in the HTML header, so probably OK for us to do
so as well.

Glen

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Greg,

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Gaurav,

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Glen,

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
OK, looking at the JIRA item:

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
(on second thought, switching back to dev@...   :)

Well, it *is* used in Google searching for the blog entry, for SEO.  I
thought about just using "Description" (this was my first patch to the
Roller project before becoming a committer) but was afraid that the user
might think of it as a hidden entry/comment field for the blog article
("Mary, see if you can get Bob in marketing to blog something good about
this crappy product we're selling...", etc.), not realizing that that
text ends up going into the HTML header.  Further, it's not *exactly*
the meta Description text, you have to code it in the header template to
tie the two together, and this field can go into other META tags related
to search descriptions (I think there's one more--I can't find it right
now though.)

I'm getting the same problem on my 5.1 blog you are adding it to the
header.vm, I don't know why it's not resolving right now, it *was*
working.  Also, the Roller blog itself which is on SNAPSHOT is no longer

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hell Glen,