Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/21 23:55:53 UTC

Tomcat: who is knocking on my door?

First, I'm sure this is documented so can anyone point
me to the documentation on how to determine the client
application.

Second, does Tomcat itself do anything different
depending on who's making the request. I sometimes
notice that IE's requests are fielded faster than
wget's requests.

Finally, is there a blanket way to prevent wget
requests?

Many thanks in advacne!

Dola

Re: Tomcat: who is knocking on my door?

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:55:53PM -0800, Dola Woolfe wrote:
: First, I'm sure this is documented so can anyone point
: me to the documentation on how to determine the client
: application.

Check for the "User-Agent" header.
(I may have made a typo on the name, but if you iterate through the
headers you'll see it right away)

: Second, does Tomcat itself do anything different
: depending on who's making the request. I sometimes
: notice that IE's requests are fielded faster than
: wget's requests.

It shouldn't -- perhaps there's something different about how wget makes
its requests?

: Finally, is there a blanket way to prevent wget
: requests?

Yes and no:

yes - use a Servlet Filter that refuses requests based on the User-Agent
header.

yes - employ user authentication.  If the offending clients are coming
from off-site, adjust your network topology such that the app in
question is only available from the inside (proactive), or block the
offending IPs using a firewall (reactive).

no - if the user changes the User-Agent header from wget. IIRC wget has
a switch for this; and if not, the source is wide-open.

Note that user auth/firewall/etc are the solid solutions.  There are
myriad non-browser clients out there besides wget, and you'll have a
devil of a time fending the all off.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: Tomcat: who is knocking on my door?

Posted by Michael Greer <mi...@earthlink.net>.
Front it with apache and restrict access by user agent.
-Michael Greer