Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by bb...@incani.com on 2006/04/15 07:00:57 UTC

Catching BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses

Hi Lucene Users,

I would like to catch BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses exception for certain
wildcard searches and display a 'subset' of results.  I have used the
WildcardTermEnum to give me the first X documents matching the wildcard
query.  Below is the code I use to implement the solution.

Without any performance concerns is this the best solution?
Or should I just tell the user to refine their query!?

Thanks

Ben

===== QueryParserTest.java ================================================
public class QueryParserTest extends LuceneTestCase {
	private static int MAX_HITS = 10;
	public void testCatchTooManyClauses() throws Exception {
		reader = IndexReader.open(directory);
		String queryStr = "9*";
		String field = "PART_NBR";
		Hits hits = null;
		Vector docList;
		try {
			System.out.println("query: " + queryStr);
			System.out.println("field: " + field);
			hits =
searcher.search(parser.parse(field+":"+queryStr));
			docList = new Vector(hits.length());
			Iterator docListIt = hits.iterator();
			while(docListIt.hasNext())

docList.add(((Hit)docListIt.next()).getDocument());
		}
		catch(BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses ex) {
			System.out.println("catch
BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses, refining query");
			Term term = new Term(field, queryStr);

			WildcardTermEnum wte = new WildcardTermEnum(reader,
term);
			int cnt = 0;
			docList = new Vector(MAX_HITS);
			while(wte.next() && cnt++ < MAX_HITS) {
				term = wte.term();
				TermQuery query = new TermQuery(new
Term(field, term.text()));
				System.out.println("search for " +
query.getTerm().text());
				hits = searcher.search(query);
				Iterator docListIt = hits.iterator();
				while(docListIt.hasNext())

docList.add(((Hit)docListIt.next()).getDocument());
			}
		}
		System.out.println("found:" + docList.size());

	}
===== QueryParserTest.java ================================================

Re: Catching BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Cool, thanks for the clarification...

Erick

RE: Catching BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses

Posted by bb...@incani.com.
Thanks Erick & Paul,

I also found a great example of a custom filter in LIA (6.4 Using a custom
filter)

Here's my updated testcase if anybody is interested...

===== QueryParserTest.java ================================================
public class QueryParserTest extends LuceneTestCase {
	private static int MAX_HITS = 10;

	public void testCatchTooManyClauses() throws Exception {
		System.out.println("===>testCatchTooManyClauses");
		Vector docList = null;
		try {
			causeTooManyClauses();
		}
		catch(BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses ex) {
			Term term = new Term(field, queryStr);
			final BitSet bs = new BitSet(reader.maxDoc());
			TermDocs termDocs = reader.termDocs();
			WildcardTermEnum wte = new WildcardTermEnum(reader,
term);
			int cnt = 0;
			docList = new Vector(MAX_HITS);
			/*
			the methods termDocs.next() and reader.document() go
to different places in
			the Lucene index so this will send the disk head up
and down.
			see
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/fileformats.html
			*/
			for (term = null; (term = wte.term()) != null && cnt
< MAX_HITS; wte.next()) {
				// get doc ids from .frq file
				termDocs.seek(term);
				while (termDocs.next() && cnt++ < MAX_HITS)
{
					bs.set(termDocs.doc());
				}
			}
			termDocs.close();
			// retrieve the Document's in numerical order
			for(int i=bs.nextSetBit(0); i>=0;
i=bs.nextSetBit(i+1)) {
				docList.add(reader.document(i));
			}
		}
		System.out.println("found:" + docList.size());
		assertTrue(docList.size() == MAX_HITS);
	}

Posted by Paul Elschot <pa...@xs4all.nl>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Hope this helps
Erick

P.S. I feel kind of odd writing things like this given that Chris, Yonik,
Erik & etc. are looking over my shoulder, but if I actually offer good
advice, maybe I can save them some time since they've certainly helped me
out. And if they make alternate suggestions, they'll be doing code reviews
for me! Cool!!!!! <G>