Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org> on 2017/03/28 15:26:39 UTC

[event] splitting sling.event into API and Implementation bundle

Hi,

Currently sling.event contains both API and implementation. In order to
support different implementation variants it would be good to have two
separate bundles, one containing just the API and one with the (current)
implementation. I would suggest to create

bundles/extensions/event-api
bundles/extensions/event-impl

and to remove the current

bundles/extensions/event

Since the api packages contain a package-info.java this change should not
involve any version-change/backwards incompatibility.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Stefan
--
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-6739

Re: [event] splitting sling.event into API and Implementation bundle

Posted by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org>.
On 29/03/17 09:33, "Stefan Egli" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

>I'll go ahead with the split and will come back when finished.

I've done the main split of event into event/api and event/resource.

As a next step I would suggest to release event/api so that event/resource
can refer to it via a released version and not SNAPSHOT (at the moment
event/resource is still self-contained, its basically unchanged from
event, just renamed).

Would appreciate if someone could have a look if event/api is clean for an
initial 1.0.0 release.

>You'll have to refresh the project structure in your IDEs afterwards.

now.

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: [event] splitting sling.event into API and Implementation bundle

Posted by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org>.
On 28/03/17 18:28, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

>What about event.resource ? Its an implementation based on the resource
>api
>
>Or event.resource.impl :)

event/resource sounds good to me.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Stefan Egli wrote
> Nice, will try that.
>
> An alternative structure would be
>
> bundles/extensions/event/api
> bundles/extensions/event/impl
>
> I'd almost prefer this one as it would other patterns we already have.
>
> If someone has a better name for 'event-impl' or 'event/impl' pls bring it
> forward. I remember the name choice for 'discovery.impl' wasn't that well
> received :)

What about event.resource ? Its an implementation based on the resource api

Or event.resource.impl :)

 Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: [event] splitting sling.event into API and Implementation bundle

Posted by Daniel Klco <dk...@apache.org>.
+1 agree with the structure:

Posted by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org>.
Nice, will try that.