Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2003/09/28 17:10:52 UTC

form-based login / cookies disabled / JSPs in WEB-INF

I think I have a problem.

I want form-based container-managed authentication on my app.

I also want to allow cookies to be disabled.

And I want to keep my JSPs under WEB-INF for security.

It seems I cannot have these 3 combined, because disabling cookies means
I have to do URL rewriting in the login form action URL, therefore my
login form has to be a JSP and cannot be just plain .html .

But while I do not want any JSPs outside of WEB-INF, I can't configure
my login form to be in WEB-INF.

Is this true, or is there a work-around?

Thanks
Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 4.1.27 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Re: form-based login / cookies disabled / JSPs in WEB-INF

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
No, I don't know what more can be said. I think it is just impossible!
We can put men on the moon, but if the browser has cookies disabled ... ;)

The dynamic information, i.e. the original request url, has to be saved
somewhere during the authentication process by the app server.

Cookies are disabled, so it cannot be saved there.

Since cookies are disabled, that means it cannot be saved in a session,
because that just substitutes one bit of dynamic information for another
  (the request url for the session id).

Plus the form itself is in a non-dynamic HTML page, so the app server
cannot put it in there either.

On 09/30/2003 06:55 AM Jose Alfonso Martinez wrote:
> I am sorry Adam, I guess you are doing in-container authentification. I know very little about that, thus I cannot say anything... I do my own authentification. You can create a session after the user auth there.
>
> other ideas or comments????
>
> Jose
>
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 06:50:05PM +0200, Adam Hardy wrote:
>
>>On 09/28/2003 06:09 PM Jose Alfonso Martinez wrote:
>>
>>>Do you really need to maintain a session, even when the user is just
>>>browsing static html files (before logging in)???  If the answer is no,
>>>then you could have an html login form.
>>>

>>Try it! If tomcat doesn't have a session id to store the user's request
>>with when tomcat is stepping in between with the login procedure, then
>>tomcat will not know where the login submission has come from once the
>>user clicks the login form's submit. This leads directly to a
>>j_security_check not available 404 error.
>>
>>Adam
>>
>>--
>>struts 1.1 + tomcat 4.1.27 + java 1.4.2
>>Linux 2.4.20 RH9

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2

Posted by Jose Alfonso Martinez <tr...@linuxcenter.com.mx>.

Posted by Jose Alfonso Martinez <tr...@linuxcenter.com.mx>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Re: Standard error pages ?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#error

-Tim

Re: Standard error pages ?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Standard error pages ?

RE: form-based login / cookies disabled / JSPs in WEB-INF

Posted by Sjoerd van Leent <sv...@wanadoo.nl>.
Jose, Adam

It's not the best solution, but it should be possible to not set the
SESSIONID in a cookie, but in (a) hidden form field(s). Remember when you do
this, that you need a very strong security encryption. It requires that you
overload the SESSIONID get function, which I think must be possible,
although I didn't try it.

Sjoerd

I am in the same issue as you and haven't come out with any workaround
yet...

However, in my site, the login form could be an html because I don't need to
maintain a session until the user has logged-in.

Posted by Jose Alfonso Martinez <tr...@linuxcenter.com.mx>.
Adam,

Posted by Jose Alfonso Martinez <tr...@linuxcenter.com.mx>.
Adam,