Posted to dev@iota.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/05 19:13:21 UTC

Graduation

Hi,

I might be getting ahead of myself on involvement but I thought I'd share a
few lessons I learnt about Apache incubation...

1. The main focus of Apache is the community and the Apache Way.

When you first get involved, it's a bit hard to understand this since
you're likely used to drive product and product value. You do need an
interesting project for people to get involved (what can be cooler that
IoT!) but Apache cares more that we build a community, get releases out,
and so on.

2. Distribution list are everything

ALL (and I mean ALL) discussions and decisions need to happen on the iota
mailing lists. These mailing lists ARE the record of the project and
indicates activity.

Of course, you need Stack Overflow, Slack, and other things to build a
community but they don't quite "count."

Further, we need to ensure that both user and dev lists are active. The
easiest way to think about user is to go "would a user benefit from this?"
A good example is discussing how to install the product for documentation
-- have that discussion on the user list since it allows people to find
install instructions before the website has proper documentation.

3. Release often

It takes a few releases to dot all the Is and cross all the Ts on releasing
the Apache Way. Don't worry about quality in the beginning, worry about
following the processes and getting passed on the legal stuff.

Next, move to a stable/bleeding edge model so that you can continue to
release often. You'll find that the major Hadoop projects follow this model
so that people can help testing without having to build the product and to
ensure constant project activity.

I recommend a scheduled train model every N weeks.

4. Mentors have day jobs

The mentors' job is to help guide the incubator to graduation. GUIDE is the
operating word here so don't expect hands-on help unless the mentors have
time for hands-on. Further, mentors are often involved with several
incubators.

5. You have to excite people

People get involved when they think that a project is cool. It's very much
a fashion thing in my opinion. For example, I'm getting involved in iota
because I love the idea of IoT and want to be able to build IoT solutions.
Plus, I think that I can help.

My point here is that you have to sell the project as much as you sell
products developed on top of it. We need presentations, videos, Twitter,
easy ways to get involved, and so on.

6. Lead with open source

Ensure that whatever solution you're building on top of iota relies on the
fact that the required functions are put into iota and released so that the
solution DEPENDS on iota release X. It's the normal pecking order: OS
before database before middle ware before applications.

7. You are an individual

You may be paid by a company but to Apache, you are an individual that
expresses your opinions and makes your contributions.

This was very hard for me in the beginning because I was used to always
communicate in we form. Now, I've learnt to use "I" when I am expressing
what I think and "we" when I am referring to the project as a whole.

I hope this helps.

Gunnar

Re: Graduation

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I assume that Tony or on of you other committers have user admin
permissions for the wiki and can add me?

Thanks,

Gunnar

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Have you had a chance to add me as an editor of the iota wiki pages? I
> just checked and I don't have the necessary permissions.
>
> I did and looks like I don't have permission to be able to add you, sorry
> someone else will need to do it for you.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Gunnar

Re: Graduation

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Can one of the iota mentors add Gunnar as an editor to the iota wiki pages on confluence?

Posted by Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com>.
Hi Daniel, Sterling or Hadrian,  I don’t seem to have admin privileges to add tapper. I don’t see the admin cog as I do when I use admin privileges on our company’s Confluence wiki.
Can some help add user ID : gtapper to enable Gunnar Tapper to edit the iota confluence pages?  Or explain to me how I might do this. Perhaps we need someone in infrastructure to help?

Thanks
-Tony

Re: Graduation

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony,

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> before database before middle ware before applications.
>>>
>>> 7. You are an individual
>>>
>>> You may be paid by a company but to Apache, you are an individual that
>>> expresses your opinions and makes your contributions.
>>>
>>> This was very hard for me in the beginning because I was used to always
>>> communicate in we form. Now, I've learnt to use "I" when I am expressing
>>> what I think and "we" when I am referring to the project as a whole.
>>>
>>> I hope this helps.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Gunnar
>>> *If you think you can you can, if you think you can't you're right.*
>>>

>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gunnar
>> *If you think you can you can, if you think you can't you're right.*

Gunnar

Re: Graduation

Posted by Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com>.

Re: Graduation

Posted by Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com>.
Hi Gunnar, I agree with your points 1 and 2 below. We can also add the Jira tickets suggested.

Re: Graduation

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin:

wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Ensure that whatever solution you're building on top of iota relies on
>> the fact that the required functions are put into iota and released so that
>> the solution DEPENDS on iota release X. It's the normal pecking order: OS
>> before database before middle ware before applications.
>>
>> 7. You are an individual
>>
>> You may be paid by a company but to Apache, you are an individual that
>> expresses your opinions and makes your contributions.
>>
>> This was very hard for me in the beginning because I was used to always
>> communicate in we form. Now, I've learnt to use "I" when I am expressing
>> what I think and "we" when I am referring to the project as a whole.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gunnar
>> *If you think you can you can, if you think you can't you're right.*

Gunnar

Re: Graduation

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony,

> [...]

> My point here is that you have to sell the project as much as you sell
> products developed on top of it. We need presentations, videos, Twitter,
> easy ways to get involved, and so on.
>
> 6. Lead with open source
>
> Ensure that whatever solution you're building on top of iota relies on the
> fact that the required functions are put into iota and released so that the
> solution DEPENDS on iota release X. It's the normal pecking order: OS
> before database before middle ware before applications.
>
> 7. You are an individual
>
> You may be paid by a company but to Apache, you are an individual that
> expresses your opinions and makes your contributions.
>
> This was very hard for me in the beginning because I was used to always
> communicate in we form. Now, I've learnt to use "I" when I am expressing
> what I think and "we" when I am referring to the project as a whole.

Gunnar

Re: Graduation

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

It's good to see you involved with this project, too.

My Confluence ID is: gtapper

Thanks,

Gunnar

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> Welcome Gunnar, this project could do with some help, thanks for stepping
> up.
>
> I would like to get you access to the iota confluence pages
>

> Post your wiki user name here and I’ll sort it out.
>
>  Do we need to add you as an iota committer?
>

> One step at a time, as discussed before on this list the PPMC needs to
> vote committers in once they have shown merit.
>
> I suggest we discuss and get clarity on what belongs on dev and what
> belongs on users.
>

> Given there’s a small amount of traffic I’s suggest just using dev@ for
> now. You are of course welcome to do it another way, but if you do split it
> then just make are everyone is signed up to both list and users questions
> on users@ get answered.
>
> We should get involved in the emerging IoT mini conference in Miami - we
> should have a release done before that conference and an iota presentation
> ready.
>

> JFYI - The call for papers closes in about a week.
>
> Gunnar I want to fix  "Also, it'd be good to fix the link in the "Apache"
> row on the incubator page so that it works: http://incubator.
> apache.org/projects/iota.html”
>

> The text is repeated that’s all.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Gunnar

Re: Graduation

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Justin, Is there a process that I need to use to fix the repeated text on the “Apache” row? Or do I just browse to the page and use the CMS tool to make those changes directly?

I fix it when I next update that page (unless another mentor does it first). It’s not a big issue.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Graduation

Posted by Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com>.