Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt Otto <ma...@klox.net> on 2004/11/24 23:17:07 UTC

svn and berkeley db corruption revisited

Max Bowsher wrote:

 > Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:
 >
 >> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 00:59 +0100, Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:
 >>
 >>> Hi,
 >>>
 >>> After some try recovering a database with the help of people from #svn
 >>> on Freenode, they suggested me to drop a mail here thinking you might
 >>> have an insight on what to do in the current situation.
 >>

 >> [...]
 >>
 >> I made a full tgz of the SVN repository available from:
 >> http://prelude-ids.org/prelude-svn-repo.tgz
 >>
 >> I hope this will eventually help tracing the problem.
 >

 > I recovered Yoann's repository.
 >
 > For anyone interested, this was the "copies table type field corrupted
 > from btree to recno for no apparent reason" bug.
 >
 > Max.

(Digging up this email from 2004-11-04.)

I've just run into the same problem Yoann had.  To refresh your memory (the
email above omits the details), "svnadmin recover holter/" gives the error:

svn: Berkeley DB error while opening 'copies' table for filesystem
/var/lib/svn/holter/db:
Invalid argument
svn: bdb: call implies an access method which is inconsistent with previous
calls

I tried "db_recover -vch holter/db/" to no avail.

Max said he recovered Yoann's repository.  Is there some documentation on
how to do this?  Is there a way to avoid this problem in the future?  I
can't find any useful information on the "copies table type field corrupted
from btree to recno for no apparent reason" bug.

System info:
Fedora Core 1
Subversion 1.1.0
db 4.1.25
apache 2.0.50

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Re: svn and berkeley db corruption revisited

Posted by Gili <ju...@bbs.darktech.org>.
	Which version of the DB does Subversion 1.1 ship with? This doesn't seem to be
discussed online.

Gili

Posted by Gili <ju...@bbs.darktech.org>.
	Actually, I'm using the Subversion 1.1 Win32 installer and it says it includes Berkley DB 4.2.x but I am also
aware there exists a way to have it write to disk using some propietary version. Are you saying that the FS-binding
is chosen at compile-time (i.e it is not configurable post-installation) and this particular version I have
downloaded it bound to the BDB?

Thanks,
Gili

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Posted by Matt Otto <ma...@klox.net>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>> Max said he recovered Yoann's repository.  Is there some documentation on
>> how to do this?
>
> No, currently Max is the only one who knows how to do this.

I've written up a new entry for the FAQ. It's committed, but the live
website hasn't yet been updated. In the meantime, you may view it directly
out of the svn repository:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/www/project_faq.html#bdb41-tabletype-bug

>>  Is there a way to avoid this problem in the future?
>
> Yes, ...

>> can't find any useful information on the "copies table type field
>> corrupted
>> from btree to recno for no apparent reason" bug.
>>
>> System info:
>> Fedora Core 1
>> Subversion 1.1.0
>> db 4.1.25
>
> ... stop using bdb 4.1.25 and upgrade to 4.2: 4.1 is definitely not to
> be used if at all possible. Bothe 4.0 and 4.2 have been found to be
> more stable.

Yes! Yes! Avoid BDB 4.1 at all costs!

Max.

Re: svn and berkeley db corruption revisited

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
> Max said he recovered Yoann's repository.  Is there some documentation on
> how to do this?

No, currently Max is the only one who knows how to do this.

>  Is there a way to avoid this problem in the future?

Yes, ...

> can't find any useful information on the "copies table type field corrupted
> from btree to recno for no apparent reason" bug.
>
> System info:
> Fedora Core 1
> Subversion 1.1.0
> db 4.1.25

... stop using bdb 4.1.25 and upgrade to 4.2: 4.1 is definitely not to
be used if at all possible. Bothe 4.0 and 4.2 have been found to be
more stable.

> apache 2.0.50
>
> Thanks in advance,

HTH,