Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ka...@plenum.de on 2001/09/26 11:18:01 UTC

Cocoon integration with WebPagePortlet

Hello (Paul),

i have a problem with the caching in jetspeed. i use cocoon to render
xml-files to html-files. that works fine. after i integrate it in jetspeed
with a WebPagePortlet some problems comes up. if the content change in the
xml-file jetspeed show not the new version. i thought thats a updating
problem so i edited the jetspeed.properties (refresh.portlet.default = 5).

after that the content of the portlet were updated, but only 1 time. futhur
changes in the xml-file where not recognized by jetspeed.

can someone (you) give me an introduction to solve this problem?

regards

Karsten Gampe

Re: Cocoon integration with WebPagePortlet

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Karsten,
Welcome to the world of cache!

Jetspeed does cache portlet content, see
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/diskcache.html.

1) Is the cocoon server on the same or different host?

2) Are you setting any expiration of cache-control in the http header of
the page in cocoon?

3) Will the portlet eventually, after 1+ hour, update?

I suspect the log files of Jetspeed, Cocoon, Tomcat, and Apache will
show that Jetspeed is not requesting the portlet content every time the
portlet is viewed. Thus, the caching need to be tuned!

If you are using Cocoon2, I saw the following in the cocoon mailing list
that look interesting.  I have not been able to try it, but is appears
to address caching.  This is from a sitemap before the <map:serialize>
tag.

    <map:act type="http-header-action">
      <map:parameter name="expires" value="0"/>
      <map:parameter name="Pragma" value="no-cache"/>
      <map:parameter name="Cache-Control" value="no-cache"/>
    </map:act>

Paul Spencer