Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Cataphract <Ca...@netcabo.pt> on 2003/12/14 01:58:47 UTC

[users@httpd] UTF-8 with Apache2 and Windows

Hi, Apache is showing the directory listings in UTF-8. How do I change
it to ISO-8859-1?
Thanks in advance.

Cataphract

Re: [users@httpd] UTF-8 with Apache2 and Windows

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Cataphract wrote:

hehe, useful little time machine:-)

> > Hi, Apache is showing the directory listings in UTF-8. How do I change
> > it to ISO-8859-1?
>
> Can't be done, as far as I know.  Windows filenames are UTF-8, so apache
> is technically correct here.  But I guess it has some bad consequences.

Why does it have bad consequences?  Surely UTF-8 is pretty well supported
these days, provided it's correctly labelled as such.  That might
call for a [Set|Add]Charset directive.

If you really want to convert, why not use a transcoding module?
IIRC mod_charset_lite is bundled with Apache as standard.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] UTF-8 with Apache2 and Windows

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Cataphract wrote:

> Hi, Apache is showing the directory listings in UTF-8. How do I change
> it to ISO-8859-1?

Can't be done, as far as I know.  Windows filenames are UTF-8, so apache
is technically correct here.  But I guess it has some bad consequences.

The apache bug database has an entry or two discussing this issues and
possible fixes.

Joshua.