Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Nigel Huband <nh...@temenos.com> on 2022/01/19 02:38:33 UTC

Exception when setting a CLOB on H2 v2.0.202

Hi everybody,

In Cayenne 4.1.1 (and probably other versions) when using CLOB's with H2 v2.0.202 an error occurs when attempting to save.

This is due to a change in behaviour in H2 (likely from 1.x) where a CLOB now needs to be saved as a stream.

In Cayenne, the CharType() has following method which is executed when saving  CLOB for an H2 DB:

              public void setJdbcObject(PreparedStatement st, String value, int pos, int type, int scale) throws Exception {

                             // if this is a CLOB column, set the value as "String"
                             // instead. This should work with most drivers
                             if (type == Types.CLOB || type == Types.NCLOB) {
                                           st.setString(pos, value);
                             } else if (scale != -1) {
                                           st.setObject(pos, value, type, scale);
                             } else {
                                           st.setObject(pos, value, type);
                             }
              }

As the type is a CLOB, when the st.setString(pos, value) gets executed an exception is thrown from H2 as you now need to set a stream as follows:

    Clob clob = st.getConnection().createClob();
    clob.setString(1, val);
    st.setClob(pos, clob);

As a fix I'm thinking creating a H2CharType() which overrides the setJdbcObject() similar to the OracleCharType() to contain this functionality.

I'm happy to submit a PR on GitHub with the solution, please advise?

Kind regards,
Nigel.

[signature_224584682]
NIGEL HUBAND
TECHNICAL LEAD
AVOKA APAC

Level 2, 1a Rialto Lane, Manly
New South Wales, Australia 2100

[cid:image002.png@01D45B44.8C6E0030]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/temenos/>[cid:image003.png@01D45B3E.3EA72B70]<https://twitter.com/Temenos>[cid:image004.png@01D45B3E.3EA72B70]<https://www.facebook.com/TemenosGroup>[cid:image005.png@01D45B3E.3EA72B70]<https://www.youtube.com/user/TemenosMarketing>  temenos.com<http://www.temenos.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new-signature&utm_content=email>

The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any use or disclosure of the contents of this e-mail/attachments by a not intended recipient is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of TEMENOS. We recommend that you check this e-mail and any attachments against viruses. TEMENOS accepts no liability for any damage caused by any malicious code or virus transmitted by this e-mail.

Re: Exception when setting a CLOB on H2 v2.0.202

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for pointing this out. What you are suggesting sounds like the right solution. And we'd gladly accept a PR at https://github.com/apache/cayenne <https://github.com/apache/cayenne>

Cheers,