Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "bphillips@ku.edu" <bp...@ku.edu> on 2012/12/28 21:19:25 UTC

New Warn Log Messages When Using Struts 2.3.8

I'm reviewing Struts 2.3.8 and noticed that in the log there are new
WARN-level messages that were not there in release 2.3.4.1.

For example:

Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.carModels] is not on the excludeParams list
of patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.email] is not on the excludeParams list of
patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.firstName] is not on the excludeParams list
of patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.gender] is not on the excludeParams list of
patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.lastName] is not on the excludeParams list of
patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.over21] is not on the excludeParams list of
patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.phoneNumber] is not on the excludeParams list
of patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.residency] is not on the excludeParams list
of patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [personBean.sport] is not on the excludeParams list of
patterns and will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger warn
WARNING: Parameter [submit] is not on the excludeParams list of patterns and
will be appended to action!
Dec 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogger error
SEVERE: Developer Notification (set struts.devMode to false to disable this
message):
Unexpected Exception caught setting 'submit' on 'class
org.apache.struts.edit.action.EditAction: Error setting expression 'submit'
with value ['Save Changes', ]

Is there something I should do in my code/settings in response to the
WARNING: Parameter ... messages?  In production we usually log at the WARN
level for dependent artifacts.

Bruce

RE: New Warn Log Messages When Using Struts 2.3.8

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
something as trivial as appending a bean to an action should be log.DEBUG and not log.WARN http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6860186/log-info-vs-log-debug
good catch bruce,
Martin

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/12/31 bphillips@ku.edu <bp...@ku.edu>:
> Lukasz (and anyone else):
>
>    Please look over this article:
> http://www.brucephillips.name/blog/index.cfm/2012/12/31/Struts-2-How-To-Exclude-Parameters-From-Being-Processed-By-The-Framework
> <http://www.brucephillips.name/blog/index.cfm/2012/12/31/Struts-2-How-To-Exclude-Parameters-From-Being-Processed-By-The-Framework>
>
>    Let me know if anything needs to be added/changed.
>
>    I'll then create a tutorial article at
> http://struts.apache.org/2.3.8/docs/getting-started.html about how to
> exclude parameters from being processed and also add information about this
> to http://struts.apache.org/2.3.8/docs/core-developers-guide.html.

Looks ok for me, great work :-)

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: New Warn Log Messages When Using Struts 2.3.8

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/1/2 bphillips@ku.edu <bp...@ku.edu>:
> I added a tutorial on how to exclude parameters from being processed to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Getting+Started

Thanks a lot!

> Where should I added this information to the Core Developer's Guide at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Guides?
>
> Could it go somewhere under the Configuration section - may be its own
> sub-bullet (Exclude Parameters) under Configuration Elements?

It's rather interceptor configuration so maybe it would be better to
add bullet under Interceptors? But it's up to you, as you use the
framework often than me ;-)

Regards

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/12/31 bphillips@ku.edu <bp...@ku.edu>:
> Lukasz:
>
>    Thank you for the reply.  I did test with devMode = false and the WARN
> and ERROR log messages are not written to the log.  Since in production we
> have devMode = false set this isn't a big issue for us.
>
>    It was just a bit confusing to see those log message during development
> and I wanted to ensure there wasn't something new with release 2.3.8 we
> needed to do in our code.

Yeah... but previously it was even worse ;-)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3927

>    Is there somewhere in the Struts 2 online documentation that discusses
> the excludeParams and why a developer may want to exclude a parameter from
> being appended to the action?  I looked through the topics listed here:
> http://struts.apache.org/2.3.8/docs/core-developers-guide.html but did not
> find any information.

No and you are right, it should be clearly explained. The change is
related to S2-005 as a possible workaround

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/s2-005.html

>    If we need to write up some documentation on excluding parameters I'd be
> happy to do that if you can let me know where to get more information about
> this feature.  I could also add an example to the tutorials I created here:
> http://struts.apache.org/2.3.8/docs/getting-started.html.

Your contribution is always welcome!

Happy New Year :-)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
This should be only visible in devMode, but anyway level should be
reduced to DEBUG - an issue was already registered:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3953

Regards