Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Bond <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/28 22:40:44 UTC

[users@httpd] apache ssl proxy

Hi,
Is it possible to setup a SSL based apache proxy? I have configured apache
as a proxy server. It works fine for http and https request from the client
but in the browser I can only specify proxy for http and https to go to port
80 for proxy. I would like to specify port 80 for http request and port 443
for https requests. https request do not wok if i specify 443 as a SSL
proxy.

Please advise!!

Thanks
jerry

Re: [users@httpd] apache ssl proxy

Posted by Jimmy McDonald <io...@bsdshell.dyndns.org>.
Are you specifying the protocol on the proxy line?
If you don't and just put port 443 it will default to
http.

Can you post a snippet of your config file so where
you are trying to configure this?

Posted by David Orriss Jr <da...@davenet.net>.
Oh sure it is.  You have to use a combination of mod_ssl and mod_proxy.  Then
you need to activate the SSLProxyEngine directive.  Here's the relavant lines
from my ssl.conf file for SSLProxyEngine:

SSLProxyEngine on
SSLProxyMachineCertificateFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/ssl.crt/weblistener.crt
SSLProxyVerify optional_no_ca

Here's stuff on mod_ssl:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_ssl.html

and an ssl-howto:

http://raibledesigns.com/tomcat/ssl-howto.html

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 1:40 pm, James Bond wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible to setup a SSL based apache proxy? I have configured apache
> as a proxy server. It works fine for http and https request from the client
> but in the browser I can only specify proxy for http and https to go to
> port 80 for proxy. I would like to specify port 80 for http request and
> port 443 for https requests. https request do not wok if i specify 443 as a
> SSL proxy.
>
> Please advise!!
>
> Thanks
> jerry

David Orriss Jr
ICQ/AIM/MSN Id's available upon request

Re: [users@httpd] apache ssl proxy

Posted by David Orriss Jr <da...@davenet.net>.
Oh, and the ProxyPass lines for the VirtualHost for the 443 port:

ProxyPass /webl https://weblistener.foobar.com
ProxyPassReverse /webl https://weblistener.foobar.com

Posted by David Orriss Jr <da...@davenet.net>.
Here's another link that describes the approach in more detail:

http://igloo.its.unimelb.edu.au/Webmail/tips/msg00618.html