Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Ted Pedersen <tp...@d.umn.edu> on 2010/12/29 19:09:41 UTC

basic question on sharing results from ./documentAnalyzer.sh demo

Greetings all,

I'm fairly new to UIMA, and to get myself oriented I've been running
the documentAnalyzer.sh demo/samples, and it's proven to be pretty
easy to use and quite informative (about what you can do with UIMA).

One thing I'd like to be able to do is cut some output and send that
to colleagues who aren't necessarily using UIMA, so as to say - look!
I gave this input file to the NamesAndPersonTitles_TAE.xml
function/descriptor, and this is what I got!

Let's assume they don't have UIMA installed, and that I don't want to
send them a screen shot (yes, I'm old school in that regard). Rather,
I'd just like to send them a text based file they can read in a
relatively simple way.

It doesn't have to be exactly this format, but just to give you an idea...

If my input is...

Mr. Smith works at IBM.

Then I'd like to send something like....

(Actual results, doesn't seem to recognize IBM. :) Note that I just
wrote the above manually....

Anyway, I'd just like to have these results in a somewhat simple,
readable, mailable form. I would even settle for being able to cut and
paste from the right hand column where the annotation details are
shown, to get something like....

Person Title ("Mr.")
begin=0
end=3
Name ("Mr. Smith")
begin = 0
begin = 9

Note that I had to do that manually...anyway, the specific format
doesn't actually matter (doesn't need to be either of the above
precisely) just something that conveys the output of UIMA in a way
that can be read by a human and send via email...

BTW, I did see the HTML and XML options on the Results Display Format
buttons on Analysis Results, but when I try and use those to see what
they do that just seems to hang and nothing is displayed. I saw some
output directories interactive_temp and interactive_out, but those
just contained the input text and the .xmi output (which I don't find
particularly readable. :)

Any thoughts, suggestions, arguments as to why this is a bad idea,
etc. are of course welcome.

Cordially,
Ted

--
Ted Pedersen
http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse

Re: basic question on sharing results from ./documentAnalyzer.sh demo

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 12/30/2010 12:24 PM, Ted Pedersen wrote:
> PS Just a few details on a second experiment, as there was an
> interesting little twist that initially confused me. This time I just
> used
>
> Analysis Engine : PersonTitleAnnotator.xml
>
> and ran as described below. What was nice about this was that all the
> possible titles as defined in the xml file were shown to me in the CPE
> Gui, so I could review those and remove or add as needed....
>
> But, initially I did not get any titles identified! Instead I got the
> following error....
>
> No output is being produced by the PersonTitleAnnotator because the
> Result Specification did not contain a request for the type
> example.PersonTitle with the language 'x-unspecified'
>   (Note: this message will only be shown once.)

We put in that error message in the 2.3.1 version of the PersonTitleAnnotator -
because others have been hit with this same issue - the annotator previously
just produced nothing, with no message.  You can find out more about results
specification, in the documentation:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.3.1/tutorials_and_users_guides.html#ugr.tug.aae.result_specification_setting

Many annotators ignore the result specification, and produce their output
regardless.  But the PersonTitleAnnotator was written to be more of a tutorial,
teaching example, and has code in it that makes use of it.  You can see this
code here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.3.1/uimaj-examples/src/main/java/org/apache/uima/examples/cas/PersonTitleAnnotator.java?revision=1044478&view=markup
<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.3.1/uimaj-examples/src/main/java/org/apache/uima/examples/cas/PersonTitleAnnotator.java?revision=1044478&view=markup>
see around line 158.

-Marshall

Posted by Ted Pedersen <tp...@d.umn.edu>.
> [...]

>>> I gave this input file to the NamesAndPersonTitles_TAE.xml
>>> function/descriptor, and this is what I got!
>>>
>>> Let's assume they don't have UIMA installed, and that I don't want to
>>> send them a screen shot (yes, I'm old school in that regard). Rather,
>>> I'd just like to send them a text based file they can read in a
>>> relatively simple way.
>>>
>>> It doesn't have to be exactly this format, but just to give you an idea...
>>>
>>> If my input is...
>>>
>>> Mr. Smith works at IBM.
>>>
>>> Then I'd like to send something like....

>>> (Actual results, doesn't seem to recognize IBM. :) Note that I just
>>> wrote the above manually....
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'd just like to have these results in a somewhat simple,
>>> readable, mailable form. I would even settle for being able to cut and
>>> paste from the right hand column where the annotation details are

>>> end=3
>>> Name ("Mr. Smith")
>>> begin = 0

Posted by Ted Pedersen <tp...@d.umn.edu>.