Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/05/08 19:31:18 UTC

Re: Struts-EL

The "EL" flavour tags allow you to use "expression language" (EL) in the
attributes of the struts tags in a Servlet 2.3 container (which Tomcat
4.1.31 is). Once you upgrade to a Servlet 2.4 container (e.g. Tomcat 5.x),
which comes with EL support provided then you will need to switch back to
the "regular" flavour struts tags.

If you need/want to use expression language then yes its a good choice - as
is using version 1.0.x of the standard tag library (JSTL). Both allow you to
use Servlet 2.4 features before you actually upgrade to a Servlet 2.4
container.

You can do one thing so that upgrading to a Servlet 2.4 container in the
future is a painless exercise. That is to put all your taglib declarations
into a separate jsp file (say "TaglibDirectives.jsp") as follows:

------ START TaglibDirectives.jsp -----
<%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-html-el  prefix="html"
%><%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean-el  prefix="bean"
%><%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic-el  prefix="logic"
%><%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-tiles-el  prefix="tiles"
%>
------ END   TaglibDirectives.jsp -----

Then in your jsps where you use these tags, you simply include this
directives jsp:

<%@ include file="/TaglibDirectives.jsp" %>

The advantage of doing this is when you upgrade to a Servlet 2.4 container,
all you need to do is change this one file to switch back to the "regular"
struts tags:

------ START TaglibDirectives.jsp -----
<%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-html  prefix="html"
%><%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean  prefix="bean"
%><%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic  prefix="logic"
%><%@ taglib uri=http://struts.apache.org/tags-tiles  prefix="tiles"
%>
------ END   TaglibDirectives.jsp -----

This also works well for the "JSTL" tags - because their URI changed from
JSTL 1.0.x (for use with Servlet 2.3) to JSTL 1.1.x (for use with Servlet
2.4)

Niall