Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ralph Goers <Ra...@digitalinsight.com> on 2004/05/10 00:18:24 UTC

RE: Business Objects vs Data Objects [was Re: JXTemplates-what' s in a name?]

If you review the developers list you will find that the Cocoon developers
would very much like to implement something like what you are suggesting by
being able to dynamically deploy/redeploy/undeploy blocks.  However, there
are significant issues that make this a non-trivial task.

Unfortunately, because Java class loaders don't have versioning support
built in you can't just simply upgrade jars in a running system on the fly.
You are making the assumption that upgrading a jar from one version to the
next will always be binary compatible. This is not always the case. To make
things worse, some of the jars have to exist in the endorsed overrides
directory which requires a restart of your web container to change them -
not just a redeployment.

Ralph

Posted by Leon Widdershoven <qa...@dds.nl>.
I know. And I also know that such a feat is not easy at all, which is at
least partially caused by the infamous jar hell. You'd have thought that
Solaris/unix people would not make the windows mistake. Alas.

I have never really understood what's special about endorsed (it overrides
the default class path?) but that application-global (with the servlet
container the application) jars require a restart is of course to be taken
for granted. It's just that I'd like to see web-application specific libraries
(the ones I use for the applications running "in" cocoon running in the
servlet container) could be reloaded. I think such a feature would prove
a strong impulse to flowscript based application development.

May the person responsible for not adding versioning to jars have
many itches daily,

Leon