Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Valerio Viglione <va...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/11 12:43:44 UTC

OWL to Relational Database

Hi, I'm Valerio Viglione an italian IT university student, I would like to know if i can use Jena to convert an OWL ontology into a
Relational Database.
To be more precise, I would like to know if Jena or some additional tool can convert, for instance, the pizza ontology (www.co-
ode.org/ontologies/pizza/) into a Relational Database. I attached my own version of Pizza ontology, as you can see it has no individuals in it, it contains just the ontology schema. My gol is to obtain a relational database schema (into mysql DB), making it by analyzing the owl file source.
I hope I've been clear.

Thank you

Regards

Valerio Viglione

Re: OWL to Relational Database

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 12:43 +0200, Valerio Viglione wrote:
> Hi, I'm Valerio Viglione an italian IT university student, I would like to know if i can use Jena to convert an OWL ontology into a
> Relational Database.
> To be more precise, I would like to know if Jena or some additional tool can convert, for instance, the pizza ontology (www.co-
> ode.org/ontologies/pizza/) into a Relational Database. I attached my own version of Pizza ontology, as you can see it has no individuals in it, it contains just the ontology schema. My gol is to obtain a relational database schema (into mysql DB), making it by analyzing the owl file source.
> I hope I've been clear.

Jena does not provide any builtin tools for using an ontology as some
form of database schema specification. If that's what you need that I
think you will need to write that yourself.

Jena SDB does allow you to *store* an ontology in a database, just like
you can store any RDF data in a database but the database layout is
fixed by  SDB and is not specific to the ontology you store in it.

Dave