Posted to kato-dev@incubator.apache.org by "serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com" <se...@oracle.com> on 2012/01/26 22:53:37 UTC

Oracle's position on the JSR-326

Hi Kato experts,

Steve and Stuart asked me to share the Oracle's position on the JSR-326
with the Kato members.
  (Sorry, I originally sent the message below to the wrong Kato mailing
list in Jan 5th.)

I'll try to summarize the key points expressed in the Oracle internal
discussion.

- While the API looks like a good idea, the priority is not high for Oracle.
   Oracle has no community input indicating that this is widely
   requested or should be prioritized.
   The primary use case is probably in support scenarios in Oracle, IBM,
etc.

- The target audience is very limited.
    The number of developers or end users that could make use of the API
is small.
    It is unlikely this API is useful for general Java developers.

- Our resources are limited, and there are bigger items on our plate for
JDK 8.
   If it can be made into something we think would be valuable for Java
developers,
   at a level that justifies putting resources on it, then we should
consider it.
   But it does not sound like it as presently proposed.

It would make sense to collect more feedback from the community and
customers
to find a good approach. It does not look that it can be done in the JDK
8 time frame.

Please, ask questions and share any points that could convince Oracle
management to change this position.

Thanks,
Serguei