Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2007/06/06 22:25:05 UTC

A report on the status of our plugin releases

Hi

I've spent the day learning the ins and outs of swizzle. It's really an
awesome tool for aggregating data from JIRA. There are some hoops you
need to jump through to get what you want, but the results are exciting.

My incentive to do this has been trying to get a grip on the status of
our plugins. There is a report on the central repo server [1] which
shows the plugins, sorted by the ones with the most voted on issues.
This is an indicator of which issues to start working on. I took another
approach and created a report based on versions rather than issues. It
tries to show which plugins are in need of a release, based purely on
when the last release was made.

While doing that I found that some data regarding our versions are
missing from JIRA. Look for the "UNKNOWN" and "MISSING RELEASE DATE"
string in the report. The root cause of these is that there are versions
in JIRA that have been released but that have not been assigned a
release date.

Then there's the time aspect. I set a "limit" of 12 months and have
labeled the ones that are older with an "OLD" marker. Then there is of
course the "NEVER" released plugins to look out for.

The report is currently sorted by plugin name. Look especially at these
plugins which shows most of the interesting stuff in the report: Help,
Hibernate and IDEA.

http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/reports/versions-for-plugins.txt

Thoughts?

[1] http://repo1.maven.org/reports/plugins/plugin-issues.txt

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: A report on the status of our plugin releases

Posted by Johann Reyes <jr...@hiberforum.org>.
For the Hibernate 2.X report, that project was initially built for the
hibernate 2 plugin, which at this moment I don't know if it's still a live
project. The hibernate 3 plugin still part of MOJO so all bug tracking and
release it's done inside MOJO

Regards

Johann Reyes

On 6/6/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've spent the day learning the ins and outs of swizzle. It's really an
> awesome tool for aggregating data from JIRA. There are some hoops you
> need to jump through to get what you want, but the results are exciting.
>
> My incentive to do this has been trying to get a grip on the status of
> our plugins. There is a report on the central repo server [1] which
> shows the plugins, sorted by the ones with the most voted on issues.
> This is an indicator of which issues to start working on. I took another
> approach and created a report based on versions rather than issues. It
> tries to show which plugins are in need of a release, based purely on
> when the last release was made.
>
> While doing that I found that some data regarding our versions are
> missing from JIRA. Look for the "UNKNOWN" and "MISSING RELEASE DATE"
> string in the report. The root cause of these is that there are versions
> in JIRA that have been released but that have not been assigned a
> release date.
>
> Then there's the time aspect. I set a "limit" of 12 months and have
> labeled the ones that are older with an "OLD" marker. Then there is of
> course the "NEVER" released plugins to look out for.
>
> The report is currently sorted by plugin name. Look especially at these
> plugins which shows most of the interesting stuff in the report: Help,
> Hibernate and IDEA.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/reports/versions-for-plugins.txt
>
> Thoughts?
>

> [1] http://repo1.maven.org/reports/plugins/plugin-issues.txt
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Johann Reyes
Sun Certified Java Developer
mobile: (786) 554-2204

Re: A report on the status of our plugin releases

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 24 Jul 07, at 10:26 AM 24 Jul 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> Now it is (finally) checked in:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/shared/reports/all-plugin-versions.vm
>>

> Coolio, you mind if I wire that up on the central machine to a cron job
> and publish it?

Go right ahead. I was going to ask you to do that :-)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Now it is (finally) checked in:

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
They look good :)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 Jun 07, at 4:25 PM 6 Jun 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've spent the day learning the ins and outs of swizzle. It's
> really an awesome tool for aggregating data from JIRA. There are
> some hoops you need to jump through to get what you want, but the
> results are exciting.

David Blevins did a very nice job.

> My incentive to do this has been trying to get a grip on the status
> of our plugins. There is a report on the central repo server [1]
> which shows the plugins, sorted by the ones with the most voted on
> issues. This is an indicator of which issues to start working on. I
> took another approach and created a report based on versions rather
> than issues. It tries to show which plugins are in need of a
> release, based purely on when the last release was made.

We are also supposed to keep track of all releases for Board Reports
so there are also a couple definitive sources of information for
releases: the repository metadata and our reports. Ultimately I think
the repository metadata is the only definitive source.

> While doing that I found that some data regarding our versions are
> missing from JIRA. Look for the "UNKNOWN" and "MISSING RELEASE
> DATE" string in the report. The root cause of these is that there
> are versions in JIRA that have been released but that have not been
> assigned a release date.

Yes, from not having a standard workflow across projects that's
enforced, and not having the release tool that takes into account all
these other aspects: like modifying the issue management system.

> Then there's the time aspect. I set a "limit" of 12 months and have
> labeled the ones that are older with an "OLD" marker. Then there is
> of course the "NEVER" released plugins to look out for.
>
> The report is currently sorted by plugin name. Look especially at
> these plugins which shows most of the interesting stuff in the
> report: Help, Hibernate and IDEA.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/reports/versions-for-plugins.txt

Looks good. Maybe one report could be made where you can sort them
different ways. The number of votes per plugin that is highest, or
the the longest not released, the most number of new defects ... So
that we're not having to look at several reports.

> Thoughts?

I think it's a great start and I'm glad someone else has picked up
the Swizzle magic. Nice work.