Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by adarsh thimmappa <ad...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/22 11:09:23 UTC

Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Hi All,
          I am using Apache Tomcat 7.0 (7.0.14 version) server. I have a
requirement such that Once i make a HTTP request, and get back the response,
i want to keep that connection alive indefinitely. What is the configuration
i need to make on the server side. By default, client uses HTTP/1.1 protocol
version to make HTTP requests. I know that in HTTP/1.1, the Connection is
kept alive by default. I am testing this setup on localhost.

*        Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.*

Adarsh

RE: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: adarsh thimmappa [mailto:adarsh.tm126@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

> Can anyone please confirm this is an issue or not.

Not directly.  Can you get Wireshark (or equivalent) traces of the traffic between the client and the server?  You can use those to determine which end is closing the TCP connection first, and whether or not the client is even requesting keep-alive.

 - Chuck

RE: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: adarsh thimmappa [mailto:adarsh.tm126@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

> I observed that the TCP connection suddenly disappears after
> the response is sent.

Connections don't "suddenly disappear" - someone (possibly the client) closes it.  Again, you need to look at TCP/IP traces of the traffic going both directions to see exactly what's going on.

 - Chuck

Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by adarsh thimmappa <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,
         I would be sorry if that was aggressive. I was testing the NIO
connector and was monitoring the TCP connections between the client(Here the
client is Apache MINA based) and the tomcat server(tomcat 7.0.14) through
the tool (CurrPorts v1.91 - Monitoring Opened TCP/IP network ports /
connections). I observed that the TCP connection suddenly disappears after
the response is sent.

I will put the logging in DEBUG or much more finer details mode, i will
check whether will it be helpful in finding out the issue with my setup.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Adarsh
9972523214

Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by adarsh thimmappa <ad...@gmail.com>.
Ok..Thanks.

> [...]

> <
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Common_Attributeslot
> >doesn't
> > seems to be accurate
>
> Yes, the documentation is accurate.
>
> > or I MAY BE WRONG,,,,, please share your
> > thoughts on the same.
>
> OK.
> Thought 1. There is no need to shout. It is rude and further reduces the
> chances of people here helping you.
> Thought 2. There is no "may" about it. You are wrong. Very wrong.
>
> > *Any suggestions would be most welcome.*
>
> Really? Why would anyone here waste their time providing you with a
> suggestion when all you have done with the advice you have been given so
> far is ignore it?
>
> Mark
>
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM, adarsh thimmappa

Adarsh
9972523214

Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
You really need to read

Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by adarsh thimmappa <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,
     In the entire source file of  *
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol* class in *tomcat server 7.0.14*,
there are no setters to set any of these properties such as
connectionTimeout,socket reuseaddress, keepalivetimeout etc. I compared the
same file with the *tomcat server version 6.0.14*, there in the source code,
we check for all the attributes entered in the server.xml for connector tag.
This logic is removed from in Tomcat 7.0.14. I am not able to figure  out
this part. I feel there is no provision to mention these attributes  for NIO
connector. I checked it.

For example the connection timeout attribute  works perfectly for BIO
connector...not for NIO connector. So, i believe the documentation in the
link
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Common_Attributes<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Common_Attributeslot>doesn't
seems to be accurate or I MAY BE WRONG,,,,, please share your
thoughts on the same.

<ad...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>          Let me investigate further. I will definitely get back on this.
>

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 22/06/2011 19:03, adarsh thimmappa wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >       Can anyone please confirm this is an issue or not. I have visited
>> this
>> > link....
>> >
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Common_Attributeslot
>> > more times....i feel like nothing left w.r.t going back to this link
>> > again. If anyone is having configuration which is working for version
>> > 7.0.14..for this particular issue please share with me.
>>
>> The default, out of the box configuration works for me with a single
>> change to use the HTTP NIO connector.
>>
>> There is no issue here.
>>
>> You need to do some further investigations to figure out why it isn't
>> working for you.
>>
>> Mark

>> socket.*

>> which

>> have
>> cases.
>> after

>>  protocol="org.apache.coyote.**http11.Http11NioProtocol"

>> Connection

>> http://tomcat.apache.org/**tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.**>
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Common_Attributes

> Regards,
> Adarsh
> 9972523214

Adarsh
9972523214

Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by adarsh thimmappa <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

Posted by adarsh thimmappa <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,
      Can anyone please confirm this is an issue or not. I have visited this
link....
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Common_Attributeslot
more times....i feel like nothing left w.r.t going back to this link
again. If anyone is having configuration which is working for version
7.0.14..for this particular issue please share with me.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> I don't think that az this stage you should be playing with the socket.*
> attributes, which refer to the low-level JVM TCP socket, and have quite
> another meaning and other side-effects.
>
> Re-read the description of the "keepAliveTimeout" attribute instead, which
> does refer to the HTTP protocol level.
>
> As a general rule : the default values for the Connector attributes have
> generally been chosen to be reasonable and fit the most usual use cases.
>  Only modify them if you have a specific and precise reason to do so, after
> doing adequate measurements.
>

> adarsh thimmappa wrote:
>
>> Hi Andre,
>>         I am using the below Connector tag configuration in the
>> server.xml.....I am still facing the same problem.
>>
>> <Connector  port="80"
>>                  protocol="org.apache.coyote.**http11.Http11NioProtocol"
>>                  socket.soKeepAlive="true"
>>                  socket.soTimeout="3600000"
>>                  maxKeepAliveRequests="-1"
>>                  redirectPort="8443" />