Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2014/01/10 12:06:18 UTC

Axes conventions: what are your needs?

Hello all

I committed a first proposal for an AxesConvention enumeration [1]. This
enumeration is not part of any OGC/ISO standard. It does not provide any
new functionality, but tries to make some common patterns easier to use.

The vast majority of Geographic CRS defined in the EPSG database use the
(latitude, longitude) axis order with longitudes in the [-180 … +180]°
range. However many developers and existing softwares prefer the
(longitude, latitude) axis order. This mismatch occurs so often that it
is worth to provide a mechanism telling "use the CRS as defined in the
EPSG database except that axis order shall be (longitude, latitude)
rather than (latitude, longitude)". This is the purpose of the
RIGHT_HANDED enumeration value.

An other common pattern is "use the CRS as defined in the EPSG database
except that the range of longitude values shall be [0 … 360]° instead of
[-180 … +180]°". This is the purpose of the POSITIVE_RANGE enumeration
value.

Does anyone has other common patterns that we could add in the
AxesConvention enumeration, or any comment on the currently proposed
patterns?

Martin

[1]
https://builds.apache.org/job/sis-jdk7/site/apidocs/org/apache/sis/referencing/cs/AxesConvention.html

Re: Axes conventions: what are your needs?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Thanks George :-)

If anyone else has clarification request or proposal, or would like
change, feedbacks are always welcome.

     Martin

Posted by GEORGE PERCIVALL <gp...@opengeospatial.org>.
Martin,