Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Zhang Zhang <zh...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/16 19:17:58 UTC

POI stability

Hi, All

A question comes out from my team around POI's stability, looks like for now
POI would prefer to have the runtime exceptions throw out, but form long
running perspective, this make the POI very difficult to manager. Can we
have a mode in POI that customer can handle the exceptions themself? Or has
a parameter to control the behavior when exceptions happened?

Cheers
Zhang Zhang

Re: POI stability

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Zhang Zhang wrote:
> Can we have a mode in POI that customer can handle the exceptions
> themself? Or has a parameter to control the behavior when exceptions
> happened?

try {
 	// POI Stuff
} catch(Throwable t) {
 	// Handle
}

?

Generally, there are two ways to get POI to throw an exception. One is to
ask it to do something clearly silly. You can avoid these by not asking it
to do silly things... The other is to feed it a broken file. You can avoid
this by not giving it broken files...!

Nick