Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robby Pelssers <ro...@ciber.com> on 2010/09/13 14:31:07 UTC

wrong encoding used when opening xml file with encoding utf-8

Hi all,

I'm generating an html table using Chinese characters and i set the encoding and mimetype as follows:

	var response = cocoon.response;
	response.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel; charset=utf-8");
	response.setHeader(
	    "Content-Disposition",
	    "attachment; filename=" + id + ".xls"
	);

	cocoon.sendPage(
		"chemicalcontent/excel/" + rohs + "/" + id + ".xls"
	);

When previewing the html table in the browser it displays the chinese characters ok. But when i click the download link and i open the file with excel, it always takes Western European as charset.. I can manually change that and reload the file but am I missing something or is excel unable to open an xml file using the correct encoding?

I know this question is a bit of topic but maybe somebody else ever faced and solved this issue.

Kind regards,
Robby Pelssers

RE: wrong encoding used when opening xml file with encoding utf-8

Posted by Robby Pelssers <ro...@ciber.com>.
Hi chris,

newer versions of excel support reading data from the web in xml format...  Excel can even read in complete webpages containing html tables and that was the use case I was talking about.

So i'm sorry about any confusion by not specifying exaclty what i was trying to do.

Robby

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: wrong encoding used when opening xml file with encoding utf-8

Posted by Robby Pelssers <ro...@ciber.com>.
Ok... i found the solution:

I had to add following META as well to the generated html:

	    <head>
	    </head>

Robby