Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Vincent Tence <vt...@sympatico.ca> on 2002/04/29 02:32:28 UTC

Instrument questions

I'm throwing in some more instrument questions:

1. Clients access the Instrumentables through InstrumentableDescriptors
via the InstrumentClient. In the DefaultInstrumentManager, shouldn't we
reset the optimized arrays m_instrumentableProxyArray and
m_instrumentableDescriptorArray when a new InstrumentableProxy is added
in registerInstrumentable() (like we do in configure())? That way we
could add Instrumentables - not declared in the config - after configuration,
which would be visible to clients.
What was your idea behind registering Instrumentables not declared in the config?
I'm not sure to understand this correctly.

2.To add new InstrumentSamples that have not been declared at configuration stage,
I would use the addXXXListeners() method on the InstrumentDescriptor in my client code
and pass it an InstrumentSample. But those samples would only be visible to my client
- as opposed to those added via addInstrumentSample() - correct?
(btw, is addInstrumentSample() in InstrumentProxy public on purpose?)
I may want to do that to let the administrator specify custom samples when the application is running.
Is that possible?

Thanks,
Vincent

RE: Instrument questions

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.
Everything in both altrmi and instrument works fine.
After a quite long timeout, the altrmi code on the client returns
from setHostContext() and throws an Exception.
The problem is within the Tomcat classloader (4.0.1), which never returns
when it
loads the class which has dependencies on missing/wrong version of classes.
The AltrmiServer starts a SocketServer, which accepts a connection, then
instanciate
a SocketStreamServerConnection. This is when the pb occurs and the server
hangs.
The client sends an OpenConnectionRequest and never gets a reply.

Vincent

RE: Instrument questions

Posted by Vinay Chandran <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Vincent,

RE: Instrument questions

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.
Leif,

RE: Instrument questions

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.

Re: Instrument questions

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

RE: Instrument questions

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.
Here is the stack trace of interest:

"InstrumentClientFrameRunner" prio=5 tid=0x89dd9c8 nid=0xc0 runnable
[0x8f2f000..0x8f2fdc4]
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:86)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:102)
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:338)
        at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.client.impl.stream.ClientCustomStreamReadWriter.
readReply(ClientCustomStreamReadWriter.java:84)
        at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.client.impl.stream.ClientCustomStreamReadWriter.
postRequest(ClientCustomStreamReadWriter.java:66)
        at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.client.impl.stream.StreamInvocationHandler.handl
eInvocation(StreamInvocationHandler.java:140)
        at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.client.impl.AbstractAltrmiFactory.setHostContext
(AbstractAltrmiFactory.java:93)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.instrument.client.InstrumentManagerConnection.op
en(InstrumentManagerConnection.java:96)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.instrument.client.InstrumentManagerConnection.tr
yOpen(InstrumentManagerConnection.java:128)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.instrument.client.InstrumentClientFrame.run(Inst
rumentClientFrame.java:102)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I thought the client code was not returning from
AltrmiFactory.setHostContext(), but after waiting long enough
the client returns:

AltRMI service abnormally ended, Trying to reconnect (attempt 0)
AltRMI service abnormally ended, Trying to reconnect (attempt 1)
AltRMI service abnormally ended, Trying to reconnect (attempt 2)
Unexpected error caught in ProfilerFrame runner:
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.AltrmiInvocationException: Too many
retries on abended service
        at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.client.impl.DefaultConnectionListener.serviceAbe
nd(DefaultConnectionListener.java:94)
        at
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.client.impl.stream.StreamInvocationHandler.handl
eInvocation(StreamInvocationHandler.java:182)

Re: Instrument questions

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Vincent Tence wrote:

>Leif,
>
>I'm facing a problem with the InstrumentManager running under Tomcat. I have
>a simple yet powerful
>MVC2 framework designed to integrate with Avalon nicely and I want to add
>instrumentation to it.
>
>I configured the framework to use the InstrumentComponentManager and I added
>a few Instruments to the
>Front Component to record things like number of requests received,
>successful, request latency, ...
>
>The problem occurs when I connect the client to the altrmi server. The
>connection seems to go fine,
>but I when I try to access the menu InstrumentManagers, my client hang up.
>I tried to remove all my instrumentables to run the manager with only the
>ComponentManager and itself as instrumentables,
>but it still hang up.
>
>Any idea?

When the Instrument Managers menu is first selected, the menu has to be
rebuilt.  I am
assuming that you are not seeing this menu and that you have already
opened a connection
to your Tomcat app.
The only thing in that rebuild menu code that could be causing problems
is the call to
InstrumentClientFrame.getInstrumentManagerConnections()  This will
return the cached
array of InstrumentManagers to avoid synchronization.  But if the array
does not yet exist
then it must be created in updateInstrumentManagerConnectionArray()
 This requires a
lock on the InstrumentClientFrame instance.  (Could you add some print
statements in there
to confirm that this is where things are hanging up:
---
    private InstrumentManagerConnection[]
updateInstrumentManagerConnectionArray()
    {
        System.out.println("updateInstrumentManagerConnectionArray() 1");
        synchronized (this)
        {
            System.out.println("updateInstrumentManagerConnectionArray()
2");
        }
    }
---

Most likely this is the problem.  Problem is who has that lock.

To track down problems like this.  Java has this neat little dump stack
trace feature
that has saved me lots of time since I found out about it.

 From the console, press CTRL-BREAK on Windows or CRTL-\ on Linux.  You

Re: RE:Instrument questions + Altrmi questions

Posted by Vincent Tence <vt...@sympatico.ca>.
Somehow the client tries to connect to the server, which is started, but
gets no response. And it gets stuck. I wonder if this has to do with
Tomcat or if I'm just missing something terribly obvious.

Posted by Vinay Chandran <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Vincent,
My best guess is that the ClientClassAltrmiFactory
is not able to find the stubs and it throwing
exception which is not printed on the console .
(I feel the exception thus generated is not
printed on the console;
InstrumentManagerConnection.tryOpen() ...)

zzz!! ,
Vinay

Posted by Vincent Tence <vt...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Vinay Chandran <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Vincent,

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.

RE: Instrument questions

Re: Instrument questions

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Vincent Tence wrote:

>>I am currently reviewing the use of the listeners.  Especially making
>>them available to remote clients.  The
>>problem is that the listener methods are fired in the thread
>>where the
>>data are taken.  If the listeners are
>>remote then this can severely affect the performance of the
>>application.
>>Thoughts on this?
>>
>>I was thinking about making a set of base descriptor interfaces which
>>could be accessed remotely as
>>well as a set which are more for in JVM use by tools which would make
>>the listener methods available.
>>

>Is it possible that the descriptors accessed by remote clients spawn threads
>in which they notify listeners? That's just a thought, since I rarely do
>remote
>stuff. I have to take a look at altrmi to see how this works.

There are two problems that I see here.
1) The extra threads are in themselves quite a resource drain.
Especially on Linux where each thread
is a process with all the overhead that goes along with it.  I could
work around this by having a pool
of threads whose job it was to service listeners.  But see #2

2) Whenever data is passed between threads, you need to have a way to do
this.  This would have to
involve creating event objects (which means added garbage collection)
 You would also have to have
a queue to hold the events waiting to be processed by the listener
threads.  This queue would have
to be synchronized.  Not sure if you noticed, but I was able to get rid
of almost all synchronization
in the processing of data (except for the samples).

I keep coming back to this though, so ...

>>Also, any ideas for making the client more user friendly.  I was
>>planning to add a tree like you had
>>made for the altprofile client.  The tree would be located in
>>the window
>>opened for each remote
>>InstrumentManager.  This was the user could get away from the menu
>>driven interface.
>>

>That would be nice indeed.

Once the underlying data gets finalized, this should go fairly quickly.

>>I was also considering adding child instrumentables to the
>>descriptors.
>> This way they would mirror
>>structure of the actual instrumentables.  Currently, the child
>>instrumentables are only used for naming
>>the instruments which are all viewed as being direct
>>instruments of the
>>root instrumentable.   Not
>>only is this confusing, but I have found that it can cause
>>problems in
>>large applications as the total
>>number of instruments can grow quite large.
>>This can be done without changing the instrument project in
>>any way. so
>>no user code should be
>>affected.  The instrument.xml files would require some slight
>>modifications though.
>>
>>Finally, I am also planning to put the ability to save
>>Instrument Sample
>>snapshots to a state file
>>back in.  This was being done in the altprofile code.  I have been
>>waiting until things settle down
>>a bit though.  The ability to save and load the desktop of the client
>>will also be put back in.
>>

>Could you explain a little be further what you have in mind?

On the server side (instrument-manager), the sample data can be very
useful even across JVM
invocations.  The idea is to save the contents of all the samples,
including onces added via
leases, at a regular interval.  When the JVM is restarted, the data will
be loaded so that there
will be only a small gap in the data when the JVM was down.  This worked
great in the altprofile
stuff when used with the Wrapper (see phoenix)  to restart the JVM after
a crash.  You can then
see what led to the crash.

On the client side, I often found myself using the same "desktop" of
windows when working
on a given problem.  This would let you save a set of charts for say
debugging JDBC connections.
One for general server health.  You could then load these saved desktops
again later to quickly
see the data that you are interrested in.  It basicly saves you time
going through and recreating the
same set of charts each time you reopen the client.   (This was working
in the altprofile stuff).

Leif

RE: Instrument questions

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.
Thanks for the detailed answers.

See answers inline

-- Vincent

Sure.
I like your idea of the lease time. I was thinking yesterday that clients
should be able to add samples at run time, but then I did not want the
manager
to expose too much to the clients for its own integrity. The lease time
looks like a
good compromise.

> >>1. Clients access the Instrumentables through
> InstrumentableDescriptors
> >>via the InstrumentClient. In the DefaultInstrumentManager,
> shouldn't we
> >>reset the optimized arrays m_instrumentableProxyArray and
> >>m_instrumentableDescriptorArray when a new
> InstrumentableProxy is added
> >>in registerInstrumentable() (like we do in configure())? That way we
> >>could add Instrumentables - not declared in the config -
> after configuration,
> >>which would be visible to clients
> >>
> This was not intentional.  Good catch.  It should be fixed
> now in CVS. :-)

Cool.

> >>What was your idea behind registering Instrumentables not
> declared in the config?
> >>I'm not sure to understand this correctly.
> >>
> The InstrumentManager is actually designed to be completely
> independent.
>  You should be able
> to register any Instrumentable at any time in the life of an
> application.  The Instrumentables defines
> in the configuration are only necessary when things like
> names or static
> samples need to be declared.

I'm glad to hear that.
That's what I thought seeing all the nice synchronization code you put in.

> >>2.To add new InstrumentSamples that have not been declared
> at configuration stage,
> >>I would use the addXXXListeners() method on the
> InstrumentDescriptor in my client code
> >>and pass it an InstrumentSample. But those samples would
> only be visible to my client
> >>- as opposed to those added via addInstrumentSample() - correct?
> >>(btw, is addInstrumentSample() in InstrumentProxy public on
> purpose?)
> >>I may want to do that to let the administrator specify
> custom samples when the application is running.
> >>Is that possible?
> >>
> See above.  Did I answer these questions.

Nicely. It all makes sense.

> I am currently reviewing the use of the listeners.  Especially making
> them available to remote clients.  The
> problem is that the listener methods are fired in the thread
> where the
> data are taken.  If the listeners are
> remote then this can severely affect the performance of the
> application.
> Thoughts on this?
>
> I was thinking about making a set of base descriptor interfaces which
> could be accessed remotely as
> well as a set which are more for in JVM use by tools which would make
> the listener methods available.

Is it possible that the descriptors accessed by remote clients spawn threads
in which they notify listeners? That's just a thought, since I rarely do
remote
stuff. I have to take a look at altrmi to see how this works.

> For the samples, it is possible for the client to request
> snapshots or
> call any of the descriptor's methods
> at their leasure without affecting the performance of the
> application.
> This can be done without listeners.
>
> Keep the questions coming.
>
> Also, any ideas for making the client more user friendly.  I was
> planning to add a tree like you had
> made for the altprofile client.  The tree would be located in
> the window
> opened for each remote
> InstrumentManager.  This was the user could get away from the menu
> driven interface.

That would be nice indeed.

Re: Instrument questions

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.