Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Christopher Speck <cs...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/17 03:48:17 UTC

Taking modifications to the guac X11 driver?

Hello,

I’ve been experimenting with the X11 driver at this repository:
https://github.com/mike-jumper/guacamole-server/tree/xf86-video-guac <https://github.com/mike-jumper/guacamole-server/tree/xf86-video-guac>

I have a slight modification which updates the driver to report back to X that no hardware/console is necessary for the driver. The change is based on the X dummy driver:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-dummy/tree/src/dummy_driver.c#n1049 <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-dummy/tree/src/dummy_driver.c#n1049>

With this change the X11 driver will no longer require access to the virtual console /dev/tty0 when being run. This is useful to run Xorg + guacd driver and an application within an isolated container and still render to the guacamole-client. Without this change the container requires mapping access to the host's console which is not ideal from a security standpoint.

Since the driver is experimental and doesn’t look to be recently active are there changes being accepted for it upstream?

Thanks,

Christopher Speck