Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2000/08/16 08:10:31 UTC

Re: [OT]SegFaults, not PerlFreshRestart or module related

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Paul wrote:

> I'm running out of ideas.
>
> PerlFreshRestart was completely unused, then explicitly set Off.
> I have two handlers, which seem to work well.  My logs report nothing
> amiss aside from the stream of segmentation faults killing off my
> server children, usually several in quick succession, then minutes or
> hours apart.  This makes me think it's usage-based (duh), but I can't
> seem to pin it down.
>
> And there are no core files.  Shouldn't a segmentation fault that kills
> a process produce a core file?  What gives? I even logged in as root
> and did a "find / -name 'core'", in case it was dumping it in some
> obscure spot off the normal web directories.  Not a single hit.  We
> don't have gdb on this server, but I assumed it was GNUware and was
> going to install it -- but doesn't it need a core file?
>
> I hate to even post this, but I'm completely baffled.
> I have users trying to hit the site from bookmarks, and getting the
> "document contained no data" popup; I can only assume it's my children
> segfaulting, and on no particular page.

core files might not be produced depending on the user your server runs
as, i think ulimit can change that or something, but don't know off the
top of my head.  if you can't reproduce the problem at will, attach to a
any apache child (make sure it's not the parent!) with gdb (see the
SUPPORT doc for hints) and wait for a segv.  then pass along `bt' and
`curinfo' to us.