Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by fab wol <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/03 16:59:07 UTC

Multi-Cluster Setup

hey everyone,

MapR is offering the possibility to acces from one cluster (e.g. a compute
only cluster without much storage capabilities) another cluster's
HDFS/MapRFS (see http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/mapr-clusters.conf). In
times of Hadoop-as-a-Service this becomes very interesting. Is this somehow
possible with the "normal" Hadoop Distributions possible (CDH and HDP, I'm
looking at you ;- ) ) or with even without this help from those
distributors? Any Hacks and Tricks or even specific Functions are welcome.
If this is not possible, has anyone issued this as a Ticket or
something?`Ticket Number forwarding is also appreciated ...

Cheers
Wolli

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by fab wol <da...@gmail.com>.
hey Rahul,

thanks for pointing me to that page. It's definately worth a read. Need
both clusters to be at least V2.3 for that?

I was digging also a little bit further. There is the property setting
fs.defaultFS whchi might be the exact setting I was actually looking for.
Unfortuantely MapR restricts access to the CLDB and not directly to the
Namenode, which makes this command right now useless (we have a lot of data
in a MapR Cluster, but want to access it in another way) for us.

Thanks everyone, who helped here.

Cheers
Wolli

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by fab wol <da...@gmail.com>.
hey Rahul,

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by fab wol <da...@gmail.com>.
hey Rahul,

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by fab wol <da...@gmail.com>.
hey Rahul,

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by Rahul Chaudhari <ra...@gmail.com>.
Fabian,
   I see this as the classic case of federation of hadoop clusters. The MR
or job can refer to the specific hdfs://<file location> as input but at the
same time run on another cluster.
You can refer to following link for further details on federation.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/Federation.html

Regards,
Rahul Chaudhari

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Nitin,
>
> I'm not talking about concept-wise. I'm takling about how to actually do
> it technically and how to set it up. Imagine this: I have two clusters,
> both running fine and they are both (setup-wise) the same, besides that one
> has way more tasktrackers/Nodemanagers than the other one. Now I want to
> incorporate some data from the small cluster in the analysis of the big
> cluster. How could i access the data natively (Just giving the input job
> another HDFS folder)? In MapR I configure the specified file and then i
> have another folder in the MapRFS with all the content from the other
> cluster ... Could i somehow specify one Namenode to lookup another Namenode
> and incorporate all the uncommon files?
>
> Cheers
> Fabian

> Nothing is stopping you to implement cluster the way you want.
>> You can have storage only nodes for your HDFS and do not run tasktrackers
>> on them.
>>
>> Start bunch of machines with High RAM and high CPUs but no storage.
>>
>> Only thing to worry then would be network bandwidth to carry data from
>> hdfs to tasks and back to hdfs.
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hey everyone,
>>>
>>> MapR is offering the possibility to acces from one cluster (e.g. a
>>> compute only cluster without much storage capabilities) another cluster's
>>> HDFS/MapRFS (see http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/mapr-clusters.conf).
>>> In times of Hadoop-as-a-Service this becomes very interesting. Is this
>>> somehow possible with the "normal" Hadoop Distributions possible (CDH and
>>> HDP, I'm looking at you ;- ) ) or with even without this help from those
>>> distributors? Any Hacks and Tricks or even specific Functions are welcome.
>>> If this is not possible, has anyone issued this as a Ticket or
>>> something?`Ticket Number forwarding is also appreciated ...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Wolli
>>>

>> --
>> Nitin Pawar

Rahul Chaudhari

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by Rahul Chaudhari <ra...@gmail.com>.
Fabian,
   I see this as the classic case of federation of hadoop clusters. The MR
or job can refer to the specific hdfs://<file location> as input but at the
same time run on another cluster.
You can refer to following link for further details on federation.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/Federation.html

Regards,
Rahul Chaudhari

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Nitin,
>
> I'm not talking about concept-wise. I'm takling about how to actually do
> it technically and how to set it up. Imagine this: I have two clusters,
> both running fine and they are both (setup-wise) the same, besides that one
> has way more tasktrackers/Nodemanagers than the other one. Now I want to
> incorporate some data from the small cluster in the analysis of the big
> cluster. How could i access the data natively (Just giving the input job
> another HDFS folder)? In MapR I configure the specified file and then i
> have another folder in the MapRFS with all the content from the other
> cluster ... Could i somehow specify one Namenode to lookup another Namenode
> and incorporate all the uncommon files?
>
> Cheers
> Fabian

> Nothing is stopping you to implement cluster the way you want.
>> You can have storage only nodes for your HDFS and do not run tasktrackers
>> on them.
>>
>> Start bunch of machines with High RAM and high CPUs but no storage.
>>
>> Only thing to worry then would be network bandwidth to carry data from
>> hdfs to tasks and back to hdfs.
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hey everyone,
>>>
>>> MapR is offering the possibility to acces from one cluster (e.g. a
>>> compute only cluster without much storage capabilities) another cluster's
>>> HDFS/MapRFS (see http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/mapr-clusters.conf).
>>> In times of Hadoop-as-a-Service this becomes very interesting. Is this
>>> somehow possible with the "normal" Hadoop Distributions possible (CDH and
>>> HDP, I'm looking at you ;- ) ) or with even without this help from those
>>> distributors? Any Hacks and Tricks or even specific Functions are welcome.
>>> If this is not possible, has anyone issued this as a Ticket or
>>> something?`Ticket Number forwarding is also appreciated ...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Wolli
>>>

>> --
>> Nitin Pawar

Rahul Chaudhari

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by Rahul Chaudhari <ra...@gmail.com>.
Fabian,
   I see this as the classic case of federation of hadoop clusters. The MR
or job can refer to the specific hdfs://<file location> as input but at the
same time run on another cluster.
You can refer to following link for further details on federation.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/Federation.html

Regards,
Rahul Chaudhari

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Nitin,
>
> I'm not talking about concept-wise. I'm takling about how to actually do
> it technically and how to set it up. Imagine this: I have two clusters,
> both running fine and they are both (setup-wise) the same, besides that one
> has way more tasktrackers/Nodemanagers than the other one. Now I want to
> incorporate some data from the small cluster in the analysis of the big
> cluster. How could i access the data natively (Just giving the input job
> another HDFS folder)? In MapR I configure the specified file and then i
> have another folder in the MapRFS with all the content from the other
> cluster ... Could i somehow specify one Namenode to lookup another Namenode
> and incorporate all the uncommon files?
>
> Cheers
> Fabian

> Nothing is stopping you to implement cluster the way you want.
>> You can have storage only nodes for your HDFS and do not run tasktrackers
>> on them.
>>
>> Start bunch of machines with High RAM and high CPUs but no storage.
>>
>> Only thing to worry then would be network bandwidth to carry data from
>> hdfs to tasks and back to hdfs.
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hey everyone,
>>>
>>> MapR is offering the possibility to acces from one cluster (e.g. a
>>> compute only cluster without much storage capabilities) another cluster's
>>> HDFS/MapRFS (see http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/mapr-clusters.conf).
>>> In times of Hadoop-as-a-Service this becomes very interesting. Is this
>>> somehow possible with the "normal" Hadoop Distributions possible (CDH and
>>> HDP, I'm looking at you ;- ) ) or with even without this help from those
>>> distributors? Any Hacks and Tricks or even specific Functions are welcome.
>>> If this is not possible, has anyone issued this as a Ticket or
>>> something?`Ticket Number forwarding is also appreciated ...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Wolli
>>>

>> --
>> Nitin Pawar

Rahul Chaudhari

Re: Multi-Cluster Setup

Posted by Rahul Chaudhari <ra...@gmail.com>.
Fabian,
   I see this as the classic case of federation of hadoop clusters. The MR
or job can refer to the specific hdfs://<file location> as input but at the
same time run on another cluster.
You can refer to following link for further details on federation.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/Federation.html

Regards,
Rahul Chaudhari

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Nitin,
>
> I'm not talking about concept-wise. I'm takling about how to actually do
> it technically and how to set it up. Imagine this: I have two clusters,
> both running fine and they are both (setup-wise) the same, besides that one
> has way more tasktrackers/Nodemanagers than the other one. Now I want to
> incorporate some data from the small cluster in the analysis of the big
> cluster. How could i access the data natively (Just giving the input job
> another HDFS folder)? In MapR I configure the specified file and then i
> have another folder in the MapRFS with all the content from the other
> cluster ... Could i somehow specify one Namenode to lookup another Namenode
> and incorporate all the uncommon files?
>
> Cheers
> Fabian

> Nothing is stopping you to implement cluster the way you want.
>> You can have storage only nodes for your HDFS and do not run tasktrackers
>> on them.
>>
>> Start bunch of machines with High RAM and high CPUs but no storage.
>>
>> Only thing to worry then would be network bandwidth to carry data from
>> hdfs to tasks and back to hdfs.
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM, fab wol <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hey everyone,
>>>
>>> MapR is offering the possibility to acces from one cluster (e.g. a
>>> compute only cluster without much storage capabilities) another cluster's
>>> HDFS/MapRFS (see http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/mapr-clusters.conf).
>>> In times of Hadoop-as-a-Service this becomes very interesting. Is this
>>> somehow possible with the "normal" Hadoop Distributions possible (CDH and
>>> HDP, I'm looking at you ;- ) ) or with even without this help from those
>>> distributors? Any Hacks and Tricks or even specific Functions are welcome.
>>> If this is not possible, has anyone issued this as a Ticket or
>>> something?`Ticket Number forwarding is also appreciated ...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Wolli
>>>

>> --
>> Nitin Pawar