Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Warhurst, SI (Spencer) " <S....@rl.ac.uk> on 2004/01/26 17:25:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Password file & Perl

Hi

Does anyone know if Perl can be used to set up a directory password in
Apache instead of using htpasswd.exe?

I'm having trouble getting Perl's system function (calling htpasswd.exe) to
return any message to say whether it's completed successfully or not, so
thought if I could use something like Perl's Digest::MD5 module it might be
easier.

Thanks

--
Spencer

RE: [users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions

Posted by JM Fraser <jm...@cybertrex.co.uk>.
Scrap the last posting, I have found what I am looking for!

thank You

Posted by JM Fraser <jm...@cybertrex.co.uk>.

http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/

Re: [users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions

Posted by Patrick Boutilier <bo...@ednet.ns.ca>.

http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/

[users@httpd] Any coments on my tutorial?

Posted by David Blomstrom <da...@yahoo.com>.
I just put a rough draft of a tutorial online at
http://geowebworks.geobop.org/test/xampp/ It's
designed to introduce newbies to the world of Apache,
PHP & MySQL through a preconfigured package from
Apache Friends that worked very nicely for me.

I wondered if anyone on this list might be willing to
glance at it and offer some comments. Most of the
material relating to Apache is on the second page, at
http://geowebworks.geobop.org/test/xampp/2.php

One particular question I have is whether you have to
turn the Apache console off before you install it as a
service. I can't remember exactly what I did, as I was
a little confused; I sort of stumbled over the
solution.

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-one.net>.
At 06:39 PM 1.26.2004 -0800, David Blomstrom wrote:
>I currently have reseller accounts with two ISP's
>using Apache/Linux, and both allow me to install
>FrontPage extensions through the Control Panel.
>
>One thing to be aware of, though - and you probably
>know more about this than I do - is that URL's aren't
>case sensitive on Windows servers, but they are on
>Linux.
>
>I designed my websites years ago with FrontPage and
>have capital letters in some of my URL's. When I moved
>up to Dreamweaver, then switched to Linux servers,
>everything crashed. I discovered a wonderful software
>product that changes everything to lower case and can
>also change extensions, but I still have a big mess to
>sort out.

This upper/lower case issue can be fixed by activating yhe "mod_speling.c"
already built in your Apache install. An .htaccess file can be placed
within the root of a domain or any other directory -- or the directive can
be placed in httpd.conf.

Check the mod directive on the Apache site for more info.

It works, but may cause some degradation of performance if a lot of
"corrections" are processed... it's the price to pay I guess.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net
http://www.sage-one.net
jackstone@sage-one.net

RE: [users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions

Posted by Ben Yau <by...@cardcommerce.com>.

> P.S. You might want to tell your client that FrontPage
> extensions have security issues. That is, I THINK they
> do. I'm not that knowledgeable about security, but
> someone was hacking my website, and my old (Windows)
> ISP told me FrontPage extensions presented all sorts
> of security issues.

I also had my web page hacked as well due to front page.  I read an article
about it and it seems to be an easy and well-known hack.  Basically, you can
use Microsoft's Web Publishing Wizard to do change management on your web
pages.  The thing is you could actually use the Wizard to do "change
management" on ANY web page that allowed updates from the Publishing Wizard
.  So you create your index.html, and in the change/update screen you put
some website that supports the Wizard and voila!  You've overwritten their
index.html.

Never tried it myself as I don't have MS Web publishing software, but thats'
what the article said and the feedback on it was pretty positive (like
"Dude! This works! That's awesome!" and things like that)

Ben

RE: [users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions

Posted by JM Fraser <jm...@cybertrex.co.uk>.
Thanks for the tip. I guess anything with FrontPage is going to have
security issues!

I currently have reseller accounts with two ISP's
using Apache/Linux, and both allow me to install
FrontPage extensions through the Control Panel.

One thing to be aware of, though - and you probably
know more about this than I do - is that URL's aren't
case sensitive on Windows servers, but they are on
Linux.

I designed my websites years ago with FrontPage and
have capital letters in some of my URL's. When I moved
up to Dreamweaver, then switched to Linux servers,
everything crashed. I discovered a wonderful software
product that changes everything to lower case and can
also change extensions, but I still have a big mess to
sort out.

Serves me right for starting out with Microshaft!

[users@httpd] VirtualHost and Location tag

Posted by Teddy Voutour <tv...@yahoo.com>.
Hi I am still new to apache but I was hoping to use the location tag to
forward requests to my tomcat instance.  It is working fine, my only
problem is that the LocationMatch tags seem to effect all my virtual
hosts.  I was hoping that since the LocationMatch tag was inside the
VirtualHost tag for mydomain1 that it would only effect that
virtualhost.  Can anyone please shed some light on this for me.  I have
included the virtual hosts portion of my httpd.conf file below.

Many thanks in advance.

Teddy

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName www.mydomain1.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/virtual-hosts/www.mydomain1.com/www
  ErrorLog logs/mydomain1.com-error_log
  CustomLog logs/mydomain1.com-access_log common
  <LocationMatch "/*.jsp">
    JkUriSet worker ajp13:localhost:9009
  </LocationMatch>
  <LocationMatch "/download/*">
    JkUriSet worker ajp13:localhost:9009
  </LocationMatch>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName www.mydomain2.com
  ServerAlias mydomain2.com *.mydomain2.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/virtual-hosts/www.mydomain2.com/www
  ErrorLog logs/mydomain2.com-error_log
  CustomLog logs/mydomain2.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

[users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions