Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com> on 2001/11/11 00:58:32 UTC

nntp - grab articles by ID Was: james nntp for jakarta newsgroups live at news.dyxn.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org>
> just had a play around with thing. I noticed that for some reason you
can't
> grab articles by ID. ie Trying to get something by
>
> 1493464959.1004188299157.1@news.james.apache.org

There was a problem with getting NNTP Headers, HDR and XHDR headers. Fixed
it.
I tried to reproduce fetching the article from articleID problem, but could
not reproduce.

What Client library are you using ? I would like to reproduce the problem
with latest code.

Are there any articles in the group you are fetching information from ?

draft-ietf-nntpext-base-13.txt in section 9.1.1.1 says
----------------------------------
            If the group is empty, one of the following three situations
            will occur. Clients MUST accept all three cases; servers MUST
            NOT represent an empty group in any other way.

               . The high water mark will be one less than the low water
                 mark, and the estimated article count will be zero.
                 Servers SHOULD use this method to show an empty group.
                 This is the only time that the high water mark can be
                 less than the low water mark.
               . All three numbers will be zero.
               . The high water mark is greater than or equal to the low
                 water mark; the estimated article count might be zero or
                 non-zero; if non-zero, the same requirements apply as for
                 a non-empty group.
----------------------------------

Is it possible that the group is empty and client is expecting the server
response in one of the three possible ways.
For empty group NTTP Server currently sends back:
b. lowWaterMark == highWaterMark == NumberOfSrticles == 0

Harmeet

Re: nntp - grab articles by ID Was: james nntp for jakarta newsgroups live at news.dyxn.net

Posted by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:54, Harmeet wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>
> regarding NEWGROUPS from KNode.
>
> > 230 List of new news groups follows
>
> This should work with the latest cvs code. I have updated
> news.kodemuse.com. Please let me know if you still see this problem.

fixed.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: nntp - grab articles by ID Was: james nntp for jakarta newsgroups live at news.dyxn.net

Posted by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:50, Harmeet wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>
>
> > Okay. Getting news by ID works now ;)
>
> getting there. :-)

;)

> > However on both yours and Rhys's servers respond with "501 Syntax Error"
>
> when
>
> > I do try "New Groups" option in KNode. Get to it via
>
> There was a problem with NEWGROUPS command. I think it has been fixed.
> Also, added a system property to help debug the protocol.
> With the latest cvs code, if System property
> apache.nntpserver.debug==true
> then a lot of output is written into the nntp specific log file.
>
> I have updated news.kodemuse.com with cvs code and
> apache.nntpserver.debug==true. Rhys you may want to do get the fixes in
> NNTPHandler.java from CVS and if you want set apache.nntpserver.debug==true
> in the run script
>
> Haven't tried the 'New Groups' option in KNode yet. (Access problem.) Hope
> to that soon.
> 'New Groups' command seems to work with python nntplib, so I have some
> confidence.

Now I get error:

230 List of new news groups follows

> > Also can James specify descriptions for newsgroups ?
>
> James cannot specify the description. Group description cannot be read from
> the config.xml or stored in repository.
> But the protocol server, does return the description. The description
> returned for a group is the same as name of a group.
> It is probably a little bit of work to add description, but not too much.
> Do you think it would be a good thing to do ?

In the long run - yep ;) It makes it easier to determine whether you want to
subscribe to group or not.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: nntp - grab articles by ID

Posted by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
> That works nice now :-)
Glad to hear that, but I think there is still a problem with KNode on Linux.
I have the patch for KNode problem and will check it in tonight.

I think we are getting close. If we can get all apache email on James NNTP
via Rhys server, we would surely get over all the teething issues, plus it
will be a good for James.

Harmeet

RE: nntp - grab articles by ID

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
That works nice now :-)

Re: nntp - grab articles by ID Was: james nntp for jakarta newsgroups live at news.dyxn.net

Posted by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>

From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>
> Also I was still intermittently getting not found errors when looking up
> articles by ID. I will see if I can reproduce it better.

I have wiped out the repository. It may be a good idea to wipe the news
server and create a new one. There may be cached articles from earlier
repository.
news.kodemuse.com is not a hard name, If you like you can choose
news1.kodemuse.com as the server name.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:45, Harmeet wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org>
>
> > I was using KNode (news reader for *nixes KDE desktop). It was either
>
> KNode
>
> > on FreeBSD or KNode on Linux .. forget what I was using at the time.
>
> Fixed bugs in this area. Latest NNTP code in the server seems to work with
> KNode on Linux.
>
> From: "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org>
>
> > rhys - do you want to update your server to the latest James version ?
>
> I have an NNTP Server running on news.kodemuse.com. It would be helpful if
> someone could try it out with KNode and other clients. I will update the
> code as bugs are found and fixed.
> Secure NNTP is at port 563.
> news.kodemuse.com functions as a test sandbox. It does not not host Apache
> mailing lists.

Okay. Getting news by ID works now ;)

However on both yours and Rhys's servers respond with "501 Syntax Error" when
I do try "New Groups" option in KNode. Get to it via

Account/Subscribe to Newsgroups/New Groups

Posted by Rhys Dixon <rh...@dyxn.net>.
i updated news.dyxn.net from cvs tonight.

note that the line it's on is getting the crap hammered out of it by a
"music archiver"
i am still sure that he will give up before wal-mart runs out of recordable
cds.
unfortunately, he has decided that he "should give back to the community"
so there's flapster, and shlapster, and clapster, and so on.
there are at least three dsl connections hooked up 24x7. (nevermind the
dialups)

i've been randomly dropping routes in the middle of his downloads (uploads)
just to make his life more interesting. any suggestions for something really
irritating
but somewhat subtle to do to this guy?

rhys

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: nntp - grab articles by ID Was: james nntp for jakarta newsgroups live at news.dyxn.net

Posted by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org>

From: "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org>

Posted by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
> I was using KNode (news reader for *nixes KDE desktop). It was either
KNode
> on FreeBSD or KNode on Linux .. forget what I was using at the time.

I will be able to play with KDE+Linix Environment on Monday. Will try it
then.

I tried test the commands with nntplib in python. That seemed to work ok.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:58, Harmeet wrote:
> [...]

okays.

> What Client library are you using ? I would like to reproduce the problem
> with latest code.

I was using KNode (news reader for *nixes KDE desktop). It was either KNode
on FreeBSD or KNode on Linux .. forget what I was using at the time.

> Are there any articles in the group you are fetching information from ?

yep. Yep they were actually ids to messages I had already sent or replied to.

rhys - do you want to update your server to the latest James version ?

--
Cheers,

Pete

Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it binds the universe together ...
                -- Carl Zwanzig