Posted to user@curator.apache.org by Villő Szűcs <sz...@cloudera.com> on 2023/03/07 08:33:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrade Curator to latest version in Oozie

Hi,
I’d like to upgrade curator in Oozie (and in other components as well) to
5.4.0 version.
Curator 5.0 contains a few non-backward compatible/breaking changes from
previous versions: https://curator.apache.org/breaking-changes.html.
This affects on
org.apache.oozie.service.ZKLocksService, org.apache.oozie.util.TestChildReaper
and core/src/main/resources/oozie-default.xml.
Can we delete the Reaper class based on this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61077543/cleanup-for-locks-created-using-apache-curator/61082721#61082721
?
Should we copy/insert the ChildReaper class's code into Oozie?
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Villo

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade Curator to latest version in Oozie

Posted by Zili Chen <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Villo,

Nice to meet you here!

Curator 5.x is compatible with ZK 3.5+. Starting from ZK 3.5, it supports Container mode node to be checked and deleted periodically if no children.

1. For ZKLocksService, you can directly remove the ChildReaper field. InterProcessReadWriteLock now internally uses Container mode to create container nodes so that they will be correctly GCed.
2. I don't see anything affected in the other two places, especially the TestChildReaper class is absent.

FYI, Curator 5.4.0 pulls a transitive dep to ZK 3.7. I notice that Oozie doesn't pin on a ZK version so it may be worth knowing.

Best,
tison.