Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by "Miller, Fred Anthony" <MI...@ecu.edu> on 2010/10/04 19:55:07 UTC

RE: Changing Default Speed in RDP file

I did a quick test by opening Windows Remote Desktop (aka mstsc.exe ) and saving the default values to an RDP file (which you can open with any text editor).  Changing only the dropdown for type of network connection, these were the resulting diffs:

LAN Connection
connection type:i:6
disable wallpaper:i:0
allow font smoothing:i:1
allow desktop composition:i:1
disable full window drag:i:0
disable menu anims:i:0
disable themes:i:0

Modem Connection
connection type:i:1
disable wallpaper:i:1
allow font smoothing:i:0
allow desktop composition:i:0
disable full window drag:i:1
disable menu anims:i:1
disable themes:i:1

I noticed that the checkboxes under the connection dropdown changed automatically when specifying the type of network connection.  Whether actually specifying only connection type 6 as opposed to connection type 1 (and none of the other settings) will make any difference I can't say.

If you want to "crank up" the settings, I'd just use all the values that are the default for LAN Connection.  End users can override these at their choosing.  Note that "advanced" users who simply fire up RDP on their own and enter the hostname in the VCL reservation screen won't get any settings but their own defaults.

Just remember if you do have any off-LAN people using the system that RDP is not very optimized, so they may not have a very good experience if everything is turned to full value.
--
Tony Miller
Technology Consultant