Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by JoeyT <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2007/05/18 15:04:07 UTC

log4j.xml vs. log4j.properties in Jbuilder 2006

Hi,

I have a problem using jbuilder 2006. I am trying to run a webapp inside
jbuilder using tomcat 5.5 server.

I have imported source code into jbuilder and this source code includes
log4j logging code. I was getting an error from the server saying:

(org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/WebModule1]).

 I put the log4j.xml file on the plasspath under WEB-INF/classes where
apparently it would work, but it didn't and the same error occurred.

I then found an example version of a log4j.properties file and put this on
the classpath just to see if jbuilder recognised it. It did, so I tried
rewriting the log4j.xml in .properties format. This was impossible as the
log4j.xml file contains filter information (which isn't supported by
.properties file format).

What I would like to know is is it possible for jbuilder to use a log4j.xml
config file or does it have to be a log4j.properties one? Am i putting the
file in the wrong directory?

Or is there any way to include filter information in .properties file?

Re: log4j.xml vs. log4j.properties in Jbuilder 2006

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
The warning you are seeing is for Tomcat's logging.  I'm not sure how
JBuilder manipulates the classloading behavior of Tomcat when it is
embedded, but normally the way that you configure Tomcat to use Log4j
for logging is to put log4j.jar and commons-logging.jar in Tomcat's
common/lib directory.  Then put log4j.properties in Tomcat's
common/classes directory.

With help from Tomcat standalone's child-first webapp classloading
behavior (or using a custom repository selector, but that's more
involved), the above can be entirely separate from your own
application logging.  Just make sure to put log4j.jar in each
webapp's WEB-INF/lib and you own config file in WEB-INF/classes.

If you the above doesn't work for you, then it is likely that the
embedded Tomcat is using different classloading behavior than the
standalone.  A repository selector (preferrably JNDI based rather
than classloader based) could be used.  Try the above first, though.

Jake